1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All Windows clients have disk hogging on VMWare Workstation 11

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bamajackson, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bamajackson

bamajackson Thread Starter

On VMWare Workstation 11, running either Windows 8.1 or 10 Tech preview clients, disk usage spikes and sits at 100% or near there, from the time it starts up till the time I shut it down. My system has more than sufficient resource and I am only ever trying to run but one client. This disk usage issue is causing frequent hangs and sluggishness in host AND client. For ex, just trying to get the Windows Tech build upgraded to build 10074 took, no lie, 11 hours!!!! Not acceptable.

I have read all the VMWare KB's and searched forums as well as spent hours on the phone with VMWare Support and still nowhere close to coming to a resolution. Im not extremely knowledgeable about VMWare but not exactly a newbie. Looking for anything that might resolve this. I just want to troubleshoot the Win 8.1 VM client for simplicity.

Host :64-bit OS, Win 8.1Pro fully updated
    Intel Core [email protected] 2.60GHz
    8GB RAM

Client : 64-bit OS, Win 8.1 Pro Fully updated
    processors: 1/1
    RAM: 2GB
    HardDrive: not Preallocated / Size100GB Used: 2.6GB

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just as a test, have you tried VirtualBox to see if that shows similar results??

3. bamajackson

I could try Virtual Box, but if really wont matter because I purchased Workstation 11 and I NEED Workstation 11 to perform better as it should be.
    I need to figure out why Window performance on Workstation 11 is so slow.

What I did try is downgrading to Workstation 10. I didn't really see any difference.
    I had also tried Workstation 11 but downgrading the Hardware compatability to Workstation 10, but that made it way worse and caused both host and client lockup, at which point I had no choice to recover other than cutting power (hard restart via power button).

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I was trying to see if there was a problem with VMware or your machine set up. Trying a different piece of software Like Virtualbox would help to show which it was likely to be. We could then concentrate on that.
    I wasn't suggesting you keep Virtualbox at all.

5. bamajackson

I will try. and report back.

6. bamajackson

I tried Virtual Box with a brand new Windows10 Tech Client. (Since I seem unable to create VM's that both Apps can see/read).
    VirtualBox is unable to offer correct resolutions even after installing the guest addons, and also, if 3D acceleration is turned on, will never even get to Windows Login screen (stays black screen forever never changes). When 3D acceleration is off, Windows 10 loads quickly and everything seems to work fine (except for the display resolution issue.)

As far as disk usage is concerned, it is night and day when compared to VMWare. Highest disk usage I've seen while working in Windows 10 so far is about 25-30% highest average. It does spike to 80's and 90's briefly during startup and shut down which I might expect but it doesn't come close to bringing the host to a complete halt like with VMWare. The difference is such that there is NO QUESTION the issue is with VMWare, as simply the act of having the Windows client "ON" in VMWare causes 95%+ disk use average.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice