1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All Word Docs In My Documents Changed To Word Pad, When Word Docs Added From A Disk.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RAS, Dec 18, 2001.

?

SEE MY FIRST THREAD. WHICH WINDOWS OS YOU THINK IS THE MOST TROUBLESOME?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2002.
  1. PLEASE DON'T TRY TO SELL ME SOFTWARE OR SERVICES! MONEY'S TIGHT!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HAPPY XMAS

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAS

RAS Thread Starter

ALL WORD DOCS IN MY DOCUMENTS WERE CHANGED TO WORD PAD, WHEN I ADDED WORD DOC COMPOSED ON ANOTHER PC.
    I ADDED THEM FROM A DISK. ALTHOUGH THE DISKETTE WAS BAND NEW, BOTH PCS WERE FOUND FREE OF VIRUSES (NORTON/BEFORE AND AFTER CREATION AND ADDITION OF NEW DOCS), I STILL CAN'T USE MOST OF 'MY DOCUMENTS'. THE FEW DOCS I CAN USE, ARE IN WORD PAD--I CAN PRINT THEM OUT-NOT EDIT, AND NOT USE HYPERLIKS. 9EXCEPTION: I CAN RIGHT CLICK AND BOOK MARK SHORTER URLS, AND ACCESS THAT WEB SITE ON A SECOND TRY.)

PHP:
    THESE DOCUMENTS ARE A KIND OF FILE CABINET AND I NEED THEM.  I ALSO NEED TO PRACTICE ON MS OFFICE APPS TO GET A BETER JOB, AND I CAN'T PRACTICE CREATING AND EDITING WORD DOCUMENTS, IF EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY BECOMES 'WORD PAD'

PHP:
    "I'VE TRIED TO FIX THE PROBLEM, BY FOLLOWING PROCEDURES 'SUGGESTED' BY THE  MS HELP PROGRAMS AND SOME  WELL MEANING FRIENDS TO NO AVAIL.  THESE PROCEDURES ARE:
    1. Control panel-System-System Performance-File System
    Properties-Troubleshooting-Remove all 'Disable' options.
    2.My Documents-View-Folder Options-'Show All Files'.
    I ALSO CLICKED ON THE "RESTORE DEFAULTS'" BOX.
    3.My Documents-Select All-Properties-Check off "ARCHIVE".
    Remove Checks on 'Read Only' and "Hidden".
    4.Run All programs in Norton Systems Works--includiong the Anti-
    Virus.
    5.Shut down and re-start, Press F8, select "line-by-line
    configuration" option. Hit 'Y' each time to restore all defaults
    and drivers. I ACTUALLY DID THIS ONE FIRST.

PHP:
    I CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY A TECHIE, MY PAY HAS BEEN CUT IN HALF SINCCE 09/11.  'MY DOCUMENTS' IS LIKE MY PERSONAL FILE CABINET, AND RIGHT NOW MOST OF IT GIBBERISH.
    PLEASE HELP ME. YOU COULD EVEN CALL ME AT 718-429-4813.
    TECHIES RULE: THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE AND HELPFUL PEOPLE. UNFORTUNATLEY, I HAVE WORKED FOR LAWYERS!

VTY, RICH SCHULMAN

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL, you weren't there!

Here's what you need to understand:

Somehow, Windows came to believe that DOC files are to be opened by WordPad. Just because Windows believes that does NOT mean that they've been converted to WordPad. Also, opening a Word file in WordPad will give you gibberish because WordPad is far from capable of opening those files.

Here's what you need to try:

Open Word.
    Hit File-Open, and try to open one of these files. If it opens successfully and isn't gibberish, do the following:

Close Word.
    Find a file on your desktop or somewhere on your C drive that ends in DOC (and looks like a WordPad file). Left-click it once. Now, holding your LEFT shift key, RIGHT click the file name with your mouse. Holding the shift key gives you one additional option called OPEN WITH. Left click on Open With.

Click on the checkbox that says "always use this program to open files of this type". Then, scroll down the list until you see either Microsoft Word, Word, or Winword and select it. Hit Ok. If it successfully opens from Word, then all your WordPad icons on your Word document files should now revert back to Word icons and you should be able to double-click a DOC file and Word will automatically open it.

If this does NOT work, than we are NOT done, and we CAN fix this.

Okay? No panicking allowed.

3. RAS

RAS Thread Starter

PHP:
    THANK YOU DREAMBOAT
    I WILL USE YOUR APPROACH ASAP! THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME SO QUICKLY. I LEFT TEL #, BECAUSE I FELT URGENT NEED TO SOLVE PROBLEM. THIS 'THING' HAS MAD ANY DOCS NEEDED FOR EMPLOYMENT/SEARCH AND PERFORMANCE IRRELEVANT, NOT TO MENTION MY ABILITY TO IMPROVE MY SKILLS. POST 09/11 FINANCES, OTHER THINGS HAVE ME STRESSED . . . I'M GRATEFUL.
    IF YOU EVER NEED FREE GOOD INFO ABOUT ENJOYING NYC, AND WHERE TO FIND DECENT LEGAL INFO FREE (OR AT NO $ GAIN TO MYSELF--NOT A PLUG), ASK!

I might need a 'second bite at the apple', if initial fix doesn't do it. But I felt your direct, detailed explanation, as well as your moniker to be re-assuring.

You probably guessed that I'm new to this sort of thing-espec. mesage boards. Oh! Nice photo--goes well with your voice.

Rich S.
    :)

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Any luck, RAS?

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    RAS: I hope you don't mind. We here at TSG need to share our knowledge so we all learn. That's why I'm posting your private message here:

DEAR DREAMBOAT. I HOPE THAT THIS DOESN'T CONSTITUTE DOUBLE POSTING.

I FOLLOWED YOUR ADVICE, AND I CAN ATLEAST VIEW AND PRINT .DOC FILES FROM WORD (SHORTCUT.EXE). BUT I STILL NEED HELP. OTHERWISE, I EVENTUALLY HAVE TO SEND MY HARD DRIVE AWAY, AND BLOW A GRAND+ (RENT MONEY, AND THE PRICE OF A NEW PC/MINE'S OLD 266P1,128 MGS. RAM)

After I closed Word.
    I found the same .DOC file on D drive/My Documents Folder, (and looks like a WordPad file). I DID Left-click it once, held my LEFT shift key, RIGHT clicked the file name with your mouse. I Held the shift key and used the one additional option called 'OPEN WITH'. I Left clicked on Open With.

I Clicked on the checkbox that says "always use this program to open files of this type". I Then, selected Microsoft Word, and selected it. I Hit Ok. However, the file did not successfully open from Word. All my WordPad icons on your Word document files did not revert back to Word icons.

Right now, I can ONLY open a .DOC from Word itself, and print it. I can't copy it to disk. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN EDIT THE .DOC IN QUESTION WHEN I OPEN IT IN WORD. SO FAR, MY ONLY OPTION IS TO PRINT OUT THOUSANDS OF PAGES, AND HAVE SOMEONE FORMAT/WIPE CLEAN MY HARD DRIVES.

I GUESS THAT I AUTOMATICALLY ASSUMED THAT PART TWO OF YOUR PLAN WAS A SURE THING.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You need to follow these directions very EXACTLY, okay?

1. Stop talking about sending away your hard drive. I'm 95% certain that it won't be necessary. I am home for the next 10 days and you can drive the dern thing down here and I'll fix it for you if I have to. Only take ya 1.5 hours from NYC. Well, okay. Two hours if during rush hour.

2. Close ALL Programs. As a matter of fact, go ahead and reboot the dern thing.

3. Hit Start-->Run and type regedit and hit enter. Looks a lot like Windows Explorer, right? If you're nervous, don't continue. Just tell me and I'll email you my phone number.

4. Browse to this folder:

If you have Office 2000:
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\9.0\Word

If you have Office 97:
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\9.0\Word

5. Right-click the Word folder and hit RENAME. Type OldWord and hit enter.

6. Close the registry editor.

7. Open Word. Create any file and save it--just for fun (to make sure Word is okay).

8. Now, reboot your PC. Are your icons back or not? If not, do you have the CD from which you installed Office?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice