1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Allocate an IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MLO, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

How do I allocate a specific IP address to a folder on a W2K server for our LAN?

I want a specific folder to be accessed for an intranet.

Thanks,

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've never heard of being able to assign an IP address to a folder.

But if you want it accessible over your LAN, then you need to share that folder. You should simply be able to right click on the folder and select sharing.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I am of course assuming that the rest of the networking is configured correctly. For example, you are all part of the same domain or workgroup and that all the same user accounts and passwords are already created on your server.

4. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

Thanks Bob but at a previous place I worked, an intranet was placed on the server and given its own specific IP address so that it was accessible over the LAN and WAN. Trouble is I didn't do it and now need to do the same at a new place.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you have more specifics about that. Like maybe a FTP server was set up.

6. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

Yes, all else is as it should be and working fine.

All on same domain and all accounts through Active Directory are set correctly.

7. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

Server is part of a WAN but with its own local domain. No FTP involved.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How specifically were the workstations access this directory when on the LAN or WAN. FTP? VPN? Regular LAN?

Maybe another question is what exactly do you want to do. If it is just have access to a particular folder over both the LAN and WAN, you could share it like any other directory for your LAN access. The set up a VPN server for WAN access.

9. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

It's just to have an Intranet written in MS Frontpage and available to all users via their browsers. Mainly used within the local domain but also accessible over the WAN to other sites. Just the same as any web page available over the WWW.

From what I know, there is nothing unusual or different about our network.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So it looks like what you had was a web server.

11. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

Possible function. Server is primarily an Exchange Server, File & print.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you also wanted an Exchange server in addition to a Web server you could do that as well. Just be aware of the security issues with both and take the necessary precautions.

13. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

No worries with that aspect.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So to recap, a folder isn't so much being shared with an IP address as there is a web server on your network. This can then be accessed through your Intranet or over the Internet. Pretty straightforward.

If you want you can install IIS or 3rd party web servers like Apache. It would be good to have a static IP address assigned to however you are accessing the Internet. Do the appropriate port mapping on your router to the LAN IP address of the server. From there it's a bit more than I would want to write out.

15. MLO

MLO Thread Starter

Thanks Bob,

Will follow this though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice