1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Allow control of firewall & updates on SBS 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by NozzaC, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

I understand that windows components like firewall and updates are controlled by GPOs on SBS 2008 (which I believe is very similar to Windows Server 2008). However I cannot find the GPO that is controlling these components for the server itself.

What I want on the server is local control rather than the greyed out controls and "your administrator controls these functions" message.

How do I do this?

Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why not just use an admin account then? Servers logged on with a domain admin account can do pretty much anything they want. Firewall should never be turned on on a server and it is not by default. Most of the time however the default group policy set by SBS is pretty restrictive.

3. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

As you'd expect I am logged in using the only Domain Admin account. However in SBS 2008, Windows update is set up by default to look to the WSUS server for its updates and the settings on all WSUS clients, including the server itself are set by group policy. To whit, you cannot just go and change update settings by going into Windows update.

4. Rockn

Rockn

So what is your question? It is still controlled via GPO based on computers that are in the default "servers" OU. Look in GPMC for the GPO that controls the server OU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice