1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Allowed remote access

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sportsmom2x2, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsmom2x2

sportsmom2x2 Thread Starter

I have two issues. First I allowed remote access to my account to someone I thought was a tech with HP. How do I know that they haven’t added something that will continue to allow remote access?

The second issue is that I have an annoying popup that has something like Freeform Now as a title. I am waiting for it to pop up, but it hasn’t since I started to write this.

I need to add a virus program, but not sure which is the best. I recently added Kaspersky and it didn’t pick up anything. I also scanned with Malwarebytes and ADWclearner and neither picked up anything. Thank you for your help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9

Processor Count: 8

RAM: 8050 Mb

Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 212 GB (20 GB Free); D: 24 GB (16 GB Free);

Motherboard: LENOVO, LNVNB161216

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Since you've had 600+ views and no replies, I'll offer my two cents.

You appear to have allowed an unknown individual enter and make unknown changes, to be completely sure anything malicious that was installed in that remote connection is removed, the most drastic and 100% sure repair is to copy all your data off that computer, and reinstall your operating system along with your applications.

An expert here could walk you through easier procedures to check and remove malware, but imo, you'll simply never know for sure ( 100% certainty ) that everything was found and removed. A big maybe you'd have to live with.

This is a good reason why drive images are made, easier to install a saved image of a good system than have to rebuild the OS and apps from the beginning.

And of course, you'll need to filter your data with good anti-virus/trojan/malware apps like you already use.

Good luck.
    johnny b

I suggest you keep an open mind for a short while and see what others have to say that are expert at malware removal.
    But that's the way I would handle it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!