1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Almost have a wireless/XP home network working-no permission to access though/unavail

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dmjones217, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmjones217

dmjones217 Thread Starter

Dear TechSupportGuy/local Forum Admin,

Hi, once again, I am so thankful to be able to come here and consult and support much of your expertise.

Would please be so kind to help me with the following?

I have a Wireless G WRT54GS home network all setup and almost working (still new to all of this)...

It is between two Gateway notebooks, both using the same Workgroup name (an essential prerequisite), one hooked up to the router directly and the other with the correct/corresponding PCMCIA Linksys network SpeedBooster card.

Actually, as far as the other, secondary, networked notebook, it can already connect and access the internet, etc. through this network (WEP key based), however, I am attempting to share a USB external drive on the main, primary PC.

After setting up the sharing of it, with File and Print sharing enabled (and on the Firewalls, etc.) and attempting to navigate to it on the secondary PC, I can see the workgroup/network name, 'Port-a-pc' under Network Places/Microsoft Windows Network, but when I click on it's plus sign, I get this error message:

"Port-a-pc is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator (or your friendly neighborhood TechSupportGuy! : ) of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

What I should do? I had this working before, but, don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

David M. Jones

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you ping Port-a-pc by IP address? By computer name?

Is Port-a-pc runing Windows XP? If so, what service pack level and is it Home or Pro? If Pro, are you using Simple File Sharing?

3. dmjones217

Dear TerryNet,

I followed this Microsoft resolution:

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on and the Computer Browser service is running on each computer in the workgroup. To do this, follow these steps.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    Step 1: Turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
    2. Click Network Connections.
    3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
    6. Click the WINS tab.
    7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
    8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
    9. Close the Network Connections window.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    Step 2: Start the Computer Browser service
    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    2. Double-click Services and Applications.
    3. Double-click Services.
    4. In the right pane, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
    5. Close the Computer Management window.

And it worked!

But I have another problem now....My home network structure is too complex, I have two 'Port-a-pc' networks appearing, one locally on the secondary PC, and another there within another network called 'HomeSolos' - which I originally incorrectly named/setup, which I tried to rename or remove, so that both PCs WorkGroup names would match 'Port-a-pc'.

I guess I need to delete all of them and start over, but, for now, it works!

Any advice would still be welcome.

As for the above resolution, I indeed had the Computer Browser service disabled on the secondary PC, after I started/enabled it, everything worked fine, according to Microsoft's resolution here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad it's working! We would have eventually arrived at the Computer Browser service, but it would have taken awhile.

What kind of advice are you now looking for? If it's about the network structure too complex, I don't understand. What OS(es) are you using? Where do you see these networks (Network Connections? My Network Places? a wireless utility? ??)? Are the "networks" actually "workgroup" names?

Sorry to be so dense on your situation. I don't pay much attention to "network names" except for maybe making sure all computers have the same Workgroup, and, of course, the SSIDs of any wireless networks.

5. dmjones217

Dear Terry,

Guess what? I tried to 'simplify' my nested local networks on the secondary PC by removing the HomeSolos one, rebooted it, and now, the shared drive is no longer appearing/accessible!

But wait! I just 'unshared' and then 'reshared' my primary notebook's external drive, and now, this erroneous 'HomeSolos' workgroup/network is reappearing on the secondary PC, *but* it and another 'port-a-pc' workgroup is only pointing to the secondary PC, not to the shared drive!...

Let me answer your questions at this point...

I am running Windows XP Home on both notebooks. When I'm using a file manager (Salamander) and I click on Change Drive, then select Network Neighborhood, then Entire Network, then Microsoft Windows Network, I see two workgroups, 'port-a-pc' and 'HomeSolos', but as I said they both only go back to the second PC's regular shared folders.

I am at my wits end...

The shared 'port-a-pc' workgroup is not appearing, so I once again, I can't share the external drive, even though I had it working, and nothing that made it worked before has changed, according to the Microsoft resolution.

Tell me how I can Ping test the situation. The primary workgroup/WEP based network (from within the LinkSys router) is definitely called 'port-a-pc'...

Heeelllllp! Microsoft home networking nightmare! lol

DMJ

6. dmjones217

*I know just enough to be dangerous!* lol

7. dmjones217

What is strange, is that when I click on 'My Network Places' on the secondary PC (Solo 9300), there is nothing there...When I go through the wizard to make a new local network, and then reboot, nothing is still there...

8. dmjones217

After another reboot on each PC, now only the local 'port-a-pc' workgroup/network appears on the 9300, nothing else, the mysterious 'HomeSolos' is gone, again...

The real problem is, there seems to be no way to delete the main Network on the 9300 to start over, the delete is greyed out, so I'm not sure I even have gotten rid of the mismatched 'HomeSolos' yet...

9. dmjones217

btw, I *can* ping 'port-a-pc' by that name, from the DOS prompt (ping port-a-pc) command, I get 4 packets sent and received in 1 ms each.

No pings happen when I try 'HomeSolos'.

10. dmjones217

It says 'Host not found...' etc.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know nothing about your Salamander file manager.

My Network Places and 'view workgroup computers' don't work like most people expect. After a workgroup change (e.g., define a workgroup, add a PC, share a folder, delete a folder, turn a PC off or restart a PC) it can take 15 to 20 minutes for the Computer Browser service to get up-to-date workgroup information to all computers. Setup your workgroup the way you want it and then don't change anything for 20 minutes. :)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ya got my head spinning! What is your Workgroup name to which both PCs belong? What are the names of your two PCs? What is the SSID of your wireless network?

13. dmjones217

I am sooo, sorry. The Solo 1200/main PC has its Workgroup name as 'HOMESOLOS', and if I try to name it 'PORT-A-PC' it says that is invalid.

I am going to leave it, and change the name of the other PC, the Solo 9300's workgroup back to 'HOMESOLOS'.

And then let it sit for 20 mins as you say. Thanks for that tip.

The SSID on the Router was 'port-a-pc' so that explains everything, hopefully.

14. dmjones217

Dear TerryNet,

Everything is working perfect now....

btw, I highly recommend www.PCPtistop.com 's diagnostic/broadband optimizing product.

And you might like www.grc.com 's SpinRite 6, which is an assembly based, low-level, non-destructive reformatter/drive head alignment refresher (it also can reclaim bad sectors to good use) - which can prevent hard drive crashes altogether (a hard drive failure occurs when drive platter heads eventually drift over a previously unknown bad sector).

Farewell,

Thanks again for your help, Microsoft Windows XP Home/networking is not that bad, after all : )

July 11 7:30p Best Western Salisbury

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice