1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alpha Shield?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taht, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taht

taht Thread Starter

I thought that I would post as I have seen some software posts for invisible Web Surfing and I wondered what Alpha shield really does?

We use it at work at the request of management. We are XP, OS sp2 and are hi speed and have a router each and the Alpha Shield. The large company that looks after our computers did a test and it showed the Ports all in stealth and so I wondered under what concept this devise works and whether it is really good to use as they have given me one along with a router to use at home as I do take work home and do it on my notebook.

I really would appreciate comments. I should say that we have other security programs and have never had problems with our work computers, malware, viruses or other nasties!

I hope to hear from someone regarding this inquiry, thankyou.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. taht

taht Thread Starter

Thx for the Links, very interesting reading. So I guess I should use this at home since the office sent me with it and the smc Router. We leave the sp2 firewall on as well and have not had any problems with any of our notebooks

So it seams from reading that it is sufficient for our needs. we have a couple of notebooks here, the better halfs and mine so I guess that I will have to purchase a second router and alpha shield for hers as well???

I am not sure how networking works. Can we both have different email addresses and hook up 2 computers to our telephone hi speed and then get a second modem to hook up to if we wanted to do that or do we have to hook up separately?

Right now the better half has simply been hooking up to my modem when I am away???

Just thought that I would ask the question as this is the first time that we have had 2 notebooks.

Thx for the reply I really appreciate it as we are not at all computer savvy!!!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can use one AlphaShield and one Router for both. The router is what shares your internet, thats the way to get more then one computer on DSL/Cable at the same time without having two separate phone lines. Your ISP can give you more then one email address, most offer a few for free or you can share the same email address if you like.

If you have laptops you should get a wireless router, it'll allow you to move around the house without wires.

And for most people the built in firewall in a typical new router is more then sufficient as long as you actually turn it on. New routers have SPI, stateful packet inspection, and thats enough in my opinion for the average home user without over complicating things.

5. taht

taht Thread Starter

This is a good response!! The better half is an accountant and I am in the legal world and so the Alpha Shield seemed to be a good choice.
    I don't know what your comment on that would be. Yes I can get a second email address from my hi speed provider.

What we both wondered about is whether the freebie addresses that we get from them can be traced to us.
    Sometimes we get people that want our email address but we don't want to give out the ones we use for work and so I was wondering if we gave them the freebie one if there is anyway that they can get our business email???

Also not too sure about these html addresses as well, I really don't know much about them.

I really appreciate again your time given to this thread!!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Everything can be traced back to you by the authorities, and anyone can turn to them for assistance. But the average Joe wouldn't be able to do anything with that address other then find out what ISP you use.

If you're concerned about spam or unsolicited/unwanted then get a free email address from the likes on Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo and don't provide your real names and business email address.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice