1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alt+x Hijacked

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FrederickRF, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrederickRF

FrederickRF Thread Starter

Windows 7, latest update.

I have added an additional language and a language bar to the desktop. The signs in this additional language when I select it use various ALT+LETTER shortcut combinations, one of which is (right) ALT+x, which has been hijacked by a program that I am unable to identify. It is invoked in editors - e-mail, Wordpad, Notepad, this very editor, and it displays a two inch floating square with a magnifier of the screen background, and a couple of moveable cross lines across the entire screen, allowing me presumably to select part of the screen to capture and save. Right click removes it, left click displays a black bar with various options, one of which is SAVE, others offer color, font, size choices (of what I don't know.) An arrow on the bar returns me to the magnifier square. The bar steals the window focus until I close it clicking its 'X" option.
    This hijacking occurred within the last week and I haven't knowingly installed any programs, and none appear in the list via the Control Panel. However, Windows 7 installed several updates, and some shareware utilities have installed their updates. None of them offer screen capture options in their menues or documentation, as far as I can tell. I have attempted to identify this rogue program through the Task Manager without luck. Right clicking on that black bar or the magnifier square does nothing.

I have the same setup on another Windows 7 computer, but Windows Updates on it are a little behind, as are the updates to the same utilities, and the problem does not occur there.

My question is how to identify and eliminate this devil?

Thanks in Advance,

F.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice