1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Altering Bandwidth Using Router Between 3 Computers.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ToshibaGuy, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToshibaGuy

ToshibaGuy Thread Starter

I have a question. Everytime I start dling something, I've noticed the speed has decreased every single time. I've also noticed that my roommates are also downloading stuff as well. I'm guessing that they are either stealing bandwidth away from me or they are using more bandwidth than I am. Either way, I want to know if I can alter the amount of bandwidth I can receive. In other words I want to know how to configure the amount of bandwidth I can get from my router to my computer. I have heard of port-forwarding, but I didn't know how to work that. If possible, I want to know how to get 99% of the bandwidth I can actually get, and 1% to my roommates....and yes I know, is pretty evil of me to do such thing...but I'm fed up of bearly dling anything. Thanks for your co-operation.

P.S. I heard that I can set my ports while playing game. So it will not lag. HOw do I set it. Thanks. :eek:

2. Rockn

Rockn

There is no such thing in commercially available home routers for bandwidth throttling. You could set up some sort of proxy server as a gateway to limit users bandwidth. I think there are some Linux solutions that will allow for this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice