1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternative Browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by SpencerW., Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

I was haveing a problem with IE and it is fixed but i downloaded an alternative browser to use until i got it fixed. Even though i have it fixed now i still want to use this browser. i have a question about it. it is called Opera v5 and i wanted to know how to increase the font size. Please help.
    T I A. Happy thanksgiving everybody

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Check in Operas properties and see? I don't know about Opera but in Netscape the font settings are in properties.

Savvy :)

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

SpencerW

Change the font size in the active window by pressing the + or - keys on the numeric key pad or....

Reset the default...File/ Preferences/windows tab...then change the default zoom percent then click "Apply to open windows" then click apply and OK.

hope that helps

buck

4. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

that works but i wanted to know how to just increase the font size and not zoom in on everything

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

file>preferences>fonts and colors>

then set the minimum font size to what ever you like. default is 6. If you set it at 12. No page you view will have fonts smaller that 12.

keep in mind that I am using opera 6.0 I don't remember if 5.12 has that option, but it might.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

opera 6.0 is a beta. However you won't have a problem as long as you choose to have windows open inside the opera workspace.

6.0 allows the windows to appear separately on the taskbar like IE, but it is a little buggy still.

Besides that. Opera 6.0 is the best opera yet.

7. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

i don't care which one is better, i just want to know how i can get the fonts to work, this version works fine for me, i may upgrade later, but for now im sticking with what i got, and i want to know how to make the font bigger, and one other thing, what can i do to make sites like microsoft.com work right, when i move the mouse over something, it should have a dropdon box and it doesn't, why not?

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

opera 5.x files>preferences>documents>minimum font size.

If drop down menus don't work, make sure you have the java runtime enviroment installed and turned on in opera.

www.sun.com

jre 1.31

Plus don't forget that microsoft doesn't really support opera either. They use a lot of proprietary html code that opera doesn't support and opera is not very forgiving.

regular drop down menus will work in opera.

the ones you hover over and the menu appears will not work in opera. opera doesn't support the code used to display those menus at microsoft. You're sol with that in opera. The reason is Microsoft doesn't conform to the html specification.

9. SpencerW.

SpencerW. Thread Starter

thanks, that helped about the font size and that sucks that it doesn't support that, oh well.

10. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Just remember, that it's microsoft's fault. Of course you can probably understand why they would do it. They want Internet explorer to have as many advantages as it can.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice