1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternative email programs???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gadfly, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

As microsoft's 'bundled' programs - like IE and Outlook Express - are constant security headaches I want to use alternative programs for these functions. Browsers of course are easily substituted - Firefox being my preferred browser - but finding a software program analagous to Outlook/Outlook Express - and not with built in 'advertisements' is another matter.

Does anyone have any suggestions around 'email' programs ?

Thanks

Gadfly

2. oldie

oldie

There's always "Incredimail" - many don't like it. Some say it has compatability problems with MS Windows, but I have used it for two years without any hitches, as have millions of others :)

Give it a try, can always uninstall

Regards - Oldie

3. shadowcat

shadowcat

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I moved to Eudora for those very reasons, 3 years ago. I have not regretted the move and recommend Eudora.

Using Outlook or Outlook Express is like going deer hunting in the back country while dressed in a deer costume, with a target pinned on your chest. Simply not worth the risk, given how user friendly Eudora is to use.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Mozilla 1.6 is a great browser and has a nice Email client. Actually you can don't have to use the Mozilla browser, leave the FireFox browser as the default, but just use the Email part of Mozilla. www.mozilla.org

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

My ISP provider, Earthlink, has a very nice email program, perhaps yours does, too? I also use Incredimail. The free version does have advertisements in a little window in the righthand corner, plus a plug for Incredimail is added to the bottom of all of your outgoing messages. But the paid version does not have any of this. It's only $30.00, and I've found it a lot of fun. The paid version also has tech support, which I've used a couple of times. Both times they were very timely with replies and worked as long as it took to resolve a problem, which turned out to be caused by my needing to update my graphic driver, lol.

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

8. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for posting these 'options'. I did a google search and found some alternatives - from freeware through to commercial versions. Of course - it's nice when you get recommendations from people who have used the 'alternative' - especially from a site you trust.

I'm going to check out some of the above mentioned options - and see how I like them.

Also - has anyone here used either of these programs: Pegasus or "iscribe".

Pegasus is free - and I did download and install it - but it seemed rather difficult to figure out. The greatest concern for me was that there was a 'preview' pane on the inbox ( a security risk in my opinion) and I couldn't find a way of closing it. If I can't exercise the option of closing the 'preview pane' function - the program is 'history'!!! And if there is an option and it's that difficult to find I'm not too pleased either. Still - If I can find out how to close this off I might give it a try.

The other program - 'iscribe' seems really neat. It doesn't install - just unzip. You can place it anywhere - and no registry entry. It has a 'password' protect for the program - whereby you have to enter your password in order to get the folders (with mail, address, etc) to even display. You also have password entry into your ' connection' options . I don't know a lot about security - but this "seems" like a really neat idea to me.
    The program itself is very simple - but as I don't do anything elaborate with emails - it has all the functions I need.
    The only thing I don't know is 'security issues'. - are there any??? etc.

Thanks for the feedback - and let me know if you have any info on this topic that might be helpful in my search for a more secure prog than microsofts.

Gadfly

PS - the link to "iscribe" is

http://www.memecode.com/scribe.php

if your interested

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

The preview pane (in most other mail clients) is not as exploited as the one in outlook. DOesnt mean you should ignore basic security, but also doesnt mean you have to be as paranoid.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice