Alternative location to install programs [question]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cadlewv

Hello. I subscribe to and read a popular PC magazine. I've read in it several times that they suggest putting Windows on the C drive, and creating a separate partition for the programs. I've actually tried this before. On the surface it seems like a splendid idea. The problem I've found is that even after telling the installer to install it to, for example, d:\[program name here], it still puts things in the c:\system32 folder, as well as a couple of other folders. And after reformatting, the programs don't work anyway.

Are there a few tips someone can give me to enable me to do this properly? I'm sure the problem lies with me, not with the idea.

Thank you.

Installing windows and your programmes on seperate partitions is not good advice for the reasons and problems you have come up against. Windows and programmes are also intricately linked in the registry as well as programmes dropping all sorts of files in the system 32 folder as you have found. You should install windows and programmes together on C. Creating another partition for your docs then is good practice as it keeps your files seperate from any windows problems or planned re-installs. Then get yourself an imaging programme. Once you have setup windows and your programmes exactly how you like, you can then take an image of the entire setup for recovery/re-installation purposes. Restoring windows and all your programmes setup exactly as you like then only takes about 20mins instead of most of the day.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online