1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternative to AVG? My old PC can't cope with it

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Sooetie, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sooetie

Sooetie Thread Starter

I've had AVG on my pc since i got the pc over 8 years ago. I know i need a new pc but can't afford one.
    When AVG starts updating everyuthing else freezes until it's completed the update and sometimes the AVG update freezes so i have to restart pc.
    .Is there another good antivirus that I could use that doesn't take so much memory? I have a Dell 4700 no upgrades
    Thanks

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

NOD32 is very light on memory etc.

+1 for Microsoft Security as well though it might be a bit heavier on your computer(?). Still seems light on mine though.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I do agree with NOD32, but it's not free.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Sooetie:

Is this or this your computer?

Both models come with 512 MB of RAM.

The 4700 supports up to 4 GB of RAM.

The 4700c supports up to 2 GB of RAM.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.

Advise us what's listed in the

Computer:

section at the bottom of the "General" tab - EXACTLY as you see it there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sooetie

Sooetie Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

It says

Intel(R)
    Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 504 MB of RAM

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Yup, so you have 512MB RAM. Your PC must have been bought in 2004/2005 lol :) Good for you! If it is still running reliably, why waste money upgrading to something you don't need?

A RAM upgrade to 1GB might not be a bad idea, it would only cost about £5 and would speed everything up a lot.

Try MSE, it's free. If it's still laggy then maybe try a trial of NOD32 (if there is one).

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't reply to the first part of post #5, so we don't know if you have a Dell Dimension 4700 or 4700c.

Regardless of which model you have, you definitely need to add more RAM.

Increasing it from 512 MB to 1 GB(1024 MB) would be good, but increasing it to 2 GB(2048 MB) would be even better.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell...nsion+XPS/Dimension+4700+Series-upgrades.html

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell...sion+XPS/Dimension+4700C+Series-upgrades.html

---------------------------------------------------------

9. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

2GB for Windows XP? For (presumably) light use? Overkill? XP can run on 32MB lol. Hell, even for light use 1GB for Windows 7 runs okay.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not going to debate with you. If you choose to run Windows XP on a miniscule amount of RAM, that's your choice.

256 - 512 MB was fine when Windows XP was released in late 2001, but programs and webpages and computing functions have gotten much more memory-hungry since then.

---------------------------------------------------------

11. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Woah don't be so defensive! I was just surprised that XP would use 2GB of RAM when a lot of computers are running smoothly on 256/512mb.

You make a good point. I guess if you're going to run new software it's irrelevant what operating system you're using. I had made the assumption he was using old software like Word 2003, and just doing a bit of casual web browsing. If he's running Word 2013 and trying out a new version of photoshop then yes, I can see how he would use the 2GB RAM lol.

12. Sooetie

Sooetie Thread Starter

Hi Guys
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have the 4700 so probably the most basic model.
    It has XP but Ihave had to reinstall it a couple of times when the pc totally died - so no extras on it just the basic XP
    Looking at it I run a game which uses Java and that seems to have heavy use - a few years ago i could have 4 windows open but now it struggles with 2.
    However over the weekend I removed AVG and installed Windows MSE and that has made a difference. . It takes a lot less memory and doesn't suddenly start updating when I'm in the middle of something. I did a full scan and had no problems at all.
    I'm thinking it would be a good idea to add some extra RAM. Is it as easy as just put the board in and the pc will adapt or do I have to run a program? I'm quite good at taking the pc apart to clean it so have an idea what goes where.
    Thanks again

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As I advised earlier, programs and webpages and computing functions have gotten more and more memory-hungry over the years. That's why 512 MB or less of RAM doesn't suffice anymore.

Dell Dimension 4700 Service Manual

Select Memory in the Removing And Installing Parts section.

----------------------------------------------------------

14. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Hi,

If you open your machine up, check how many RAM slots you are using. Take one of the sticks out and note down the type it is (eg. PC2-6400 800Mhz). Then you just go and buy some RAM of that type, stick it in there and boot up. No software or anything needed, the BIOS should just pick up the extra RAM on boot and away you go!

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sooetie:

Your desktop probably came with a 256 MB module in 2 of its 4 slots, although it's possible it came with a 512 MB module in 1 of its 4 slots.

The "service tag" number on the sticker would confirm it, one way or the other.

My advice is to install a 512 MB module in all 4 slots.

Matching modules is usually best because this avoids conflict or incompatibility between mismatched modules.

Your desktop uses 240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300 or DDR2 PC2-6400, 1.8 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice