1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternative to Outlook Express?I tend to like Outlook Express. Some years ago I fina

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ewillers, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

I am an old guy. I tend to like Outlook Express. Some years ago I finally got it customized in terms of text size and layout the way I like. I am used to it. But, it seems to have some kind of fatal flaw - that every year or so MS OUtlook Express's InBox gets corrupted and makes either or both sending or receiving email no longer possible. It is as if after working properly for a year or two the InBox file gets to a certain size and goes haywire. Is there any remedy for this? Is there a more stable version of Outlook Express or another mail program that is very similar but more stable than OE that I can import my settings into?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Outlook Express only displays your mail- your ISP "delivers" it as you set up accounts inside OE> that is, it can leave copies of mails on their (ISP) servers or not, as you set it. Are you sure there is not a spam or "full Inbox" or un-emptied Spam or Trash folder on your ISP mail?

3. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Well, I had not set it up that way, but it is possible it has been the citim of a virus or spam or something. In the past when this happened, it turned out to be a "corrupted" InBox. I forgot what I did to fix it. Probably had to start over with a new fresh incarnaiton of OE from scratch -- losing all previous emails. This time I at least had the presence of mind to back up the Inbox. Hope that worked. I am sending this with OE on another PC.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So are you looking for an alternative?

5. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

Well, either a good alternative or a more stable version of OUtlook Expfress if it exists. There must be some way to stabilize the InBox, I owld think. But maybe there is some kind of design flaw in OE that makes corruptoin of the InBox inevitable. Don't know.

6. Squashman

Have you ever thought about just using the cloud for your email. I personally have not used an email client in almost 10 years. Started using Yahoo email and then switched to GMail and never looked back since.

But if you really want to use another email client then take a look at Thunderbird or Eudora OSE.

7. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

Thanks. I used Eudora a very long time ago in the late 90s. I will try the OSE version. If I can configure it the way I do OE, then that is what I will switch to. Not familiar with Cloud. I think I tried Gmail once and everything was too small. I have 4 percent vision.

8. Squashman

Then configure your browser to show larger text.
    Most browsers also have a Zoom option which will make everything bigger as well.

9. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

I have generally found browser-based email slow to deal with. It seems to take longer for things to open up and appear on the screen, and not as easy to delete or move/copy messages to other folders. When I used a browser (IE) for email, I had to wait and tap my fingers for the page to re-appear after doing the simplest things. It seems to be time intensive. Partly what one gets used to, I reckon. I know the Tech Guy is a Mac man, which is okay with me, but he seems to know a lot about other programs for PCs etc.

Thanks again.

10. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

Besides the apparent vulnerability of the InBox file in OE to be corrupted and then for OE to freeze up, the only other thing I wish MS would fix about OE is to have some way for it to recover when it goes down -- like MSIE 8 and fireFox can do. If they could just fix those two things, I'd be happy to stay with outlook express.

11. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

One solution would be to create yourself a new folder, call it 'Archive' or whatever you like, then move the emails out of the Inbox to the 'Archive' folder.

As for a new email client, you could try Windows Live Mail.

There's nothing stopping you making your own periodic backup of the dbx files/folders ;)

12. Squashman

Well you do realize that OE has been retired.

If you have a slow Internet Connection then yes, Webmail is going to be slow for you.

I work for the largest printing company in the world and they made the decision to move off of Lotus Notes to Google Apps. The cloud is basically the future of everything. I think in the future most apps will be web based and we won't be installing anything on our computers.

13. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

I am still using Windows XP and Outlook Express came with it. I guess it no longer comes with later versions of Windows. I have not used Lotus Notes or Google Apps yet. will check into that. Muchos gracius!

14. Squashman

You said you tried Gmail once. Gmail is part of Google apps.

15. ewillers

ewillers Thread Starter

Sounds confusing. I probably ought to stay with what I am familiar with. When I tried GMail it was quite a while back and I had a differrnet email address and different ISP. When I switched to DSLExtreme I dropped the SWBell ISP and used a different email address form then on. I cannot log back into Gmail now because I have forgot the password. I may be getting it confused with something called Chrome, also associated with Google. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice