1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternative to Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pitroad, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pitroad

pitroad Thread Starter

Switched from IE to Opera and now want to get off Outlook Express. What is a good alternative ? Need something relatively simple as my wife will also use it (so it must support multiple accounts as well).

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I switched years ago to Eudora.

Its a plain, efficient and very easy to use email program.

Its available as free (with ads), or free (lite version) or paid version.

The paid version has a first class spam filter as well. Highly recommended.

3. dugq

dugq

Personally I use Incredimail. Design wise its a lot similar to OE, so making the switch is easy. It is however a lot more fun.
    Theres a free version with ads, or a paid version.
    By the way, before switching, make sure your AV software has support for the program you are going to use, some don't, while others require some quite tricky configuration

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

Thunderbird from Mozilla is another email client you could try -- it's also free.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need to consider, that while Incredimail messages sometimes "look good", it sends all those effects as HTML mail which is about 7 times larger in size than plain email.

Also more than 50% of my email recipients now block all HTML content in emails (as I also do) as it is a security risk (harmful scripts can be carried in HTML), therefore the effects are never seen by the recipient anyway.

6. pincmonkey

pincmonkey Banned

Not to mention incredimail is spyware/adware/scumware/malware if you crash in incredimail no other mail application can retrieve your adress book or messages. It slows down your system. Its not worth it

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I tend to agree, its not an application that I would ever put on my PC, and I have seen the devastation that can ensue with a corrupt install of Incredimail. Its a hell of a job to remove it.

But, to each his own. Many swear by it, but a lot swear at it.

8. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

M4, I think it's called. That way you don't have to have another program at all, just send everything thru Opera.

If you must have a standalone mail client, I'd recommend Mozilla Thunderbird.

9. pitroad

pitroad Thread Starter

Went ahead and downloaded thunderbird. It took a little effort to get comfortable with,but was worth the effort. I then switched from Opera to Firefox. It seems every browser has its good points and bad points. I'm just looking for a secure browser that doesn't crash (at least doesn't crash a lot - they all seem to crash from time to time). Thanks for the tips.

<><

10. dai

dai

why not use the mail program in opera

11. pitroad

pitroad Thread Starter

Guess I didn't realize there was a built-in email client within 'opera'. I though since I was using 'Firebird' things might be a little more stable if I used both mozilla products. Didn't really even try the opera client. I really like both Opera and Firebird. Both have great forums for tips. My system had become very unstable running IE & OE. Needed a change !

<><

12. dai

dai

i see there is opera.7.6 preview 1 available

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice