1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alternatives to office for mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by fccabs, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fccabs

fccabs Thread Starter

My 60 day trial period has expired on the preinstalled office for mac so im looking for advice on what i should do for a word processor and spreadsheet program/package. Should i pay for the student /teacher version of office or go for the full program (does anyone know what the difference between the two is??) or can anyone receommend an alternative cheaper option. thanks in advance

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Have you considered the well regarded free Open Office suite, which I believe is compatible with Macs:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Check out the "components" on that link I think they might interest you.

I hope this helps?
    Richard

3. fccabs

fccabs Thread Starter

Thanks Richard

4. Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

The only difference between the full version and the Student/Teacher version is the cost. Oh, and the fact that you can install the Student/Teacher version on three Macs.

5. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

I use NeoOffice and it is almost the exact same as Openoffice.org but doesn't require X11 to run.

NeoOffice download page

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

I recommend Open Office, too. :)

7. rgh1tsg

rgh1tsg

The NeoOffice alternative is just about perfect. I never could seem to get the X11 Services and OpenOffice to cooperate. I am sure it was user error but since NeoOffice ran seamlessly I shelved the debug of the problem and got on with life.

8. shellback

shellback

I have used NeoOffice too. I have been happy with it. Hard to beat the price - free. Comes with a drawing program too, something we use to see with AppleWorks.

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

I believe NeoOffice is based off of OpenOffice.

10. shellback

shellback

Yes, it is based on OpenOffice. The nice thing about it is that it runs like all other applications designed for the Mac. You do not have to use X11.

Just noticed that you are in Pittsburgh. I was born there and lived in Pleasant Hills. Moved South a loooooooong time ago when my dad was transferred to SC.

11. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

NeoOffice is good, especially for free. However, you should have gotten a test version of Keynote and Pages (essentially Word and PowerPoint Mac style) I paid for the version the other day and it was only $50 (w/an education discount)...takes a bit of getting used to, but you can save in the Microsoft formats using those programs. I don't know how much the Microsoft Office suite costs for hte student edition, since I'm only interested in the Business version because I use Access and Publisher a lot...however, I think the student edition of Office only contains Word, Excel, and maybe PowerPoint...
    If you are looking to buy a program, play around with your version of Keynote and Pages...once you discover the "inspector" (a blue circle with the letter "i" inside of it) the program is pretty easy to use. See if you like it, you can save in the Microsoft formats as I said, it's pretty cheap, and easy to use. Maybe someone else will mention this program and give their opinion on it, to give you a more advanced perspective since I've only had the program for a week if that.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice