Alternatives to office for mac

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fccabs

My 60 day trial period has expired on the preinstalled office for mac so im looking for advice on what i should do for a word processor and spreadsheet program/package. Should i pay for the student /teacher version of office or go for the full program (does anyone know what the difference between the two is??) or can anyone receommend an alternative cheaper option. thanks in advance

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi,
Have you considered the well regarded free Open Office suite, which I believe is compatible with Macs:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Check out the "components" on that link I think they might interest you.

I hope this helps?
Richard

fccabs said:
My 60 day trial period has expired on the preinstalled office for mac so im looking for advice on what i should do for a word processor and spreadsheet program/package. Should i pay for the student /teacher version of office or go for the full program (does anyone know what the difference between the two is??) or can anyone receommend an alternative cheaper option. thanks in advance
The only difference between the full version and the Student/Teacher version is the cost. Oh, and the fact that you can install the Student/Teacher version on three Macs.

The NeoOffice alternative is just about perfect. I never could seem to get the X11 Services and OpenOffice to cooperate. I am sure it was user error but since NeoOffice ran seamlessly I shelved the debug of the problem and got on with life.

I have used NeoOffice too. I have been happy with it. Hard to beat the price - free. Comes with a drawing program too, something we use to see with AppleWorks.

Yes, it is based on OpenOffice. The nice thing about it is that it runs like all other applications designed for the Mac. You do not have to use X11.

Just noticed that you are in Pittsburgh. I was born there and lived in Pleasant Hills. Moved South a loooooooong time ago when my dad was transferred to SC.

NeoOffice is good, especially for free. However, you should have gotten a test version of Keynote and Pages (essentially Word and PowerPoint Mac style) I paid for the version the other day and it was only $50 (w/an education discount)...takes a bit of getting used to, but you can save in the Microsoft formats using those programs. I don't know how much the Microsoft Office suite costs for hte student edition, since I'm only interested in the Business version because I use Access and Publisher a lot...however, I think the student edition of Office only contains Word, Excel, and maybe PowerPoint...
If you are looking to buy a program, play around with your version of Keynote and Pages...once you discover the "inspector" (a blue circle with the letter "i" inside of it) the program is pretty easy to use. See if you like it, you can save in the Microsoft formats as I said, it's pretty cheap, and easy to use. Maybe someone else will mention this program and give their opinion on it, to give you a more advanced perspective since I've only had the program for a week if that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online