1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Am I able to upgrade my power supply to use a new graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadedgrey63, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadedgrey63

shadedgrey63 Thread Starter

My brother got me a GeForce GTX 460 SE without realizing that I didn't have enough power in my power supply. So my question is: can I upgrade my power supply? I have an HP Pavillion Elite 350t (HPE-350t). Or if I can't upgrade it, do you have any good recommendations for a 300w power supply? The best ones for the Sims 3 & expansions seem to need more power, or are no longer supported by EA - at least ones from Nvidia, I still need to check ATI, but I've always used Nvidia cards, so I'm more comfortable with them. I've been working on this for weeks, and I can't get straight answers from people I know, so my PC's just sitting in my room, open, as I was working on it for a long time and don't want to close it up until this is all figured out. Thank goodness I have my Macbook, lol.

Thanks for any help I can get. :D

If it helps, I do watch movies on it, edit/record video, edit photos, etc. I also sometimes record audio. Do you want me to post any specs? I can also post pics of the inside of the PC if it'll help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8151 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 315, 512 Mb [no longer works well with my games]
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 941857 MB, Free - 769925 MB; D: Total - 11908 MB, Free - 1451 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, 2A9C, 1.0,
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled
    I copied this from an older post, but nothing's changed. As I was in the middle of switching cards when I realized the problem, I had uninstalled the drivers for this one, and I don't feel like taking the huge new card back out, and putting the other in just to get the same specs from a newer version. :)

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You could use any standard ATX power supply But I would recommend that you get something in the 550W to 600W range from a quality manufacturer such as Corsair, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Thermaltake, Antec to name a few.

3. jlabit

jlabit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

That video card requires a lot more power than you currently have in that computer. One item in a computer you don't want to buy cheap is a power supply. When one blows, it usually takes many other components with it. Corsair is one of the best, and this one will give you all the power you need. Good luck.

4. shadedgrey63

Both of you, thank you so much! All I expected was to be told that I could upgrade, not give me recommendations and link me to one. Thanks so much! I'm relieved - I really like that card, lol. The power supply you linked me to seems perfect. :D If you don't mind, I have a few other questions: would it be best to put my old card back in to see if the new power supply seems to be working right before I install the new card, or does it matter if it's all at once? I figure it's better one-by-one, but I thought I'd check. And do you think it's all right if I have a sound card in the slot directly above the graphics card? I have one empty slot I could move it up to, if needed. I guess that will be another step in the process if that's the case, huh? Thanks so much! :)

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It is down to personal preference in many ways. If you are happier putting the power supply in and testing it works with you old graphics card then that wont cause any problems as long as the supply is good, you do get the occasional bad one slip through the net but chances are it will be dead on arrival (DoA) and wont work at all if there is soemthing wrong with it.

Are you sure the sound card sits above the graphics card? Normally for PCI-E cards (which the GTX 460 is) the slot is the top one (or two if you have mrre than one slot) in a tower?

6. shadedgrey63

Yes, I think so. I have one PCI-E slot, and 3 PCI slots. The PCI-E is at the bottom, and the sound card is second from the top, so I can move it up if need be. The 460 is dual slot, so the sound card sits sight above it.

Edit: This if you consider the top to be right under the power supply. I'm not hugely familiar with the inside of a computer, so I may be wrong. Should I take a photo?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice