Am I actually making an upgrade?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adamparke100

Hi,

As a student I thought I want to upgrade (i spend my time watching 1080p streams of football and twitch as well as watching youtube on 1080p and then writing the odd document or two)

I know the basic stuff when it comes to computers such as what ram means and processors etc. I am however buying a new laptop as the one I have now, the ASUS X751LA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 1901 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
It's a great laptop but getting the bad signs of wear and tear.

I am looking at the HP ENVY X360 in dark ash silver (£639, it looks amazing) and it has a AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 APU processor. I am quite happy with the speed I have at the moment but as a student I am paying a lot of money so I kind of want to see better speeds than the previous laptop or else there wouldn't be much point buying it.

Also does 2x2 wifi help? This one has 1x1 wifi and I was wondering if that makes much of a difference.

Cheers!

Your ASUS processor:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4030U+@+1.90GHz
The AMD:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A9-9420&id=3059
Neither one of them is a stellar performer and I much prefer Intel CPU's, especially in laptops. What you don't say in your posting is whether or not the X360 has an SSD (Solid State Drive). They tend to be much, much faster and are 3,000 times more shock resistant than a traditional hard disk drive. For a convertible unit like the X360, they are a must.
If you are OK with the WiFi on your existing laptop, you probably won't notice much difference in the faster, newer, card.

adamparke100

So From your links, it says that the Asus processor is better? It does have a SSD, didnt know if you could link things on here but there it is below.
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2GH16EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
Does that SSD means its faster or just less prone to breaking?

I agree the processors aren't stellar, you are still talking to a university student on a budget though and the looks of the laptop above does look nice so that has to be taken into consideration as well as the speed. For what my current laptop does at the minute I believe it is fast enough to handle the capabilities of what I want. I am not looking to go into photoshopping, video editing, game playing or anything like that. Just watching 1080p content.

adamparke100

I'll take that one into consideration. I know I sound silly but does the average CPU mark mean the higher the faster or?

Pasmark.com has, quite literally, millions of benchmarks and is very useful for comparison. Yes, the higher the numbers, the faster the item is; though the "single thread" number can often be more important than the overall number (It,s just below it on the page).

adamparke100

Ok great, last question. Cause I really like the look of this laptop and I prefer the black to the silver. Given I like to simply watch 1080p videos and watch documents is the upgrade in processor for this below with the A12 worth it
https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-x...8&tmcampid=69&tmad=c&s_pccid=pc_sz_200_20000&
Or should I stick with the one I showed above.

I know again the performance isn't stellar, its the design, the added benefits etc that make this laptop, its just the fact that I want it to be at least a better performer than my previous laptop given the price.

Again thanks for helping me.

adamparke100

Yeah as its for media use as well I want to have it as 15 inches. I am on a 17 inch right now so a downgrade from a 17 inch to a 13 inch would feel crazy, just need to get the 15 inch for a bit more portability.

I would agree I had two laptops before and the Intel was slightly better than the AMD but I wasn't too fussed.

In your expert opinion would you pay 620 for the A9 processor or 850 for the A12 given my circumstances and what I use it for.

Something that's a little weird. I'm in the USA and you're in the UK. Every time we post links to specific HP's, they get broken for me and open a link for a bunch of models.
The A9's single thread rating is OK so I wouldn't spend the extra to get the A12.
I would; however, get the exact model number and do some independent shopping, not at the HP store, before I bought one.

adamparke100

Aw yeah that would make sense actually cause HP have two different stores a UK and USA one online. Actually looking at your HP store you have different processors in the Envy models which is weird. The one that is probably similar to my model in the UK has the AMD Quad-Core FX-Series processor which is probably much better as its quad core and its much cheaper than the one im looking at.

The perks of living in America...
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360---15-bq051nr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online