Am I getting ripped off?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cesarcarlos

Hello,

I have a Packard Bell laptop, Easynote B3221-E. After having it for a few years and it working with no problems, my foot accidentally got entangled in the wire and the laptop fell from the nightstand to the rug (height was about a foot and a half, the distance from your knee to the floor). Since that day the laptop started having problems. Specifically the fan would start to sound (like a vaccum cleaner) and when this happened the laptop would simply turn off all of a sudden. This only happens when the fan starts to sound and it happens only when the laptop seems to be processing tasks (for example, when watching videos on YouTube or similar media, when browsing pages with Flash modules, when loading Yahoo messenger, when runing any form of antivirus or spyware detector). Whenever that fan starts making noise I know that the laptop will shut down any minute. No sound, no problem.

After a while I finally took the laptop to a service provider. In addition to the turning off problem I also mentioned the laptop was a little slow (specially when loading programs) and that the battery doesn't seem to work for more than 5 mins. However, I stated that the main problem was the laptop turning off.

Yesterday I got a call from them telling me they had analyzed the laptop and they say I need a bigger memory (the current memory is 256MB DDRAM). Now, I would understand that that a memory problem would cause the laptop to be sluggish at times. But, could the problem I described above really have to do with the laptop's memory?

I should also mention that they say they looked at the fan and didn't find a problem with it.

Any insight you could share would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

CPG

None of the issues you describe have anything to do with the memory. It will perform noticably better with more, but more will not fix the problems you have.

They likely blew out the dust and took care of the overheating problem. . . Are they telling you it is not shutting down now?

cesarcarlos

At this point they are only making a diagnostic. I have to approve for they to do any actual repairs.

More memory will speed up the pc, but only if it is working right . . I'd tell them to first diagnose the overheating problems, then worry about performance.. Be sure they know it was dropped

It sounds like when you dropped the laptop it might have jarred the fan or broke the bearing. If the fan stops working the system will overheat and then shut off automatically. Memory would have nothing to do with the system shutting itself off.

They're trying to upsell you =)

You're instincts are correct. Memory upgrades are electives and can have nothing to do with fans or shutdowns that are probably caused by overheating. If the fan now works and the machine doesn't shut down, bring it home, or get the memory if you do not wish to add that later yourself for far less money.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online