1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Am I infested with Aliens

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by DXC, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm running XP Pro and recently I downloaded a trial of CA AntiVirus. I ran the program but it seemed to interfere with programs and in particular FireFox, so i removed the program. I've now got AVG 9 Free edition but on installation it said I must remove CA AntiVirus. I looked in add/remove programs but no mention, also no mention in Program Files so then did a search for CA AntiVirus but again nothing. I then checked windows Firewall and it's disabled and I can't enable it. Now a program has appeared with a shortcut on my dektop called Bowser Choice. Did a right click on shortcut and the properties put the target at:-c:\Windows\system32\browserchoice.exe/launch.

I'm a bit scared of even running the computer Please Help even if it's to say nothing to worry about.

DXC

2. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm running XP Pro and recently I downloaded a trial of CA AntiVirus. I ran the program but it seemed to interfere with programs and in particular FireFox, so i removed the program. I've now got AVG 9 Free edition but on installation it said I must remove CA AntiVirus. I looked in add/remove programs but no mention, also no mention in Program Files so then did a search for CA AntiVirus but again nothing. I then checked windows Firewall and it's disabled and I can't enable it. Now a program has appeared with a shortcut on my dektop called Bowser Choice. Did a right click on shortcut and the properties put the target at:-c:\Windows\system32\browserchoice.exe/launch.

I'm a bit scared of even running the computer Please Help even if it's to say nothing to worry about.

DXC

Sorry just realised I should include HiJack log

Attached Files:

3. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

Hello,
    I attached the HijackThis log to my explanation of problems I'm experiencing with my computer, which is posted above. Since then I ran Rootkit Revealer which I found on the Microsoft Web site. It highlighted a lot of areas but most of the highlighted areas had 0 bytes. Is it possible to have malware with 0 bytes.
    I'm still very worried and apprehensive as I can feel that things are not as they should be. I use Firefox most of the time but it has become very unstable, also the computer does not seem to be as "Smooth" as normal.

DXC

4. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

Again a problem, I dfinately attached the HJT log to my previous reply but it's not there!

Hope it's attached to this one.

DXC

Attached Files:

5. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

I am not trying to "bumb" my thread but I'm now getting extremely worried. A program I've had for years, NERO 7, which I use a lot has now stopped working and the computer and especially firefox is behaving as if "posessed".

DXC

6. DXC

DXC Thread Starter

Please Help,
    This morning I noticed that my AVG did not start a scheduled scan. The icon is still in the tray but the program has been nulified, there is no user interface. I'm trying to get it running again but I'm ATM trying to reinstall the program.
    I'm getting so worried that my computer is in the process of being wiped out..

DXC

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice