1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Am I just out of luck?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lymponus, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lymponus

lymponus Thread Starter

Hello. One of my nurses at the dialysis center gave me her old Gateway computer (with a 1.2 GHz Athlon) after the hard drive died. I happened to have a new hard drive, so was excited to finally have something a little faster then my PII 333. I finally got a legitimate copy of WinXP Pro, and everything was proceeding well with the installation. I activated it a couple of days ago over the internet, and everything seemed fine.

Yesterday I was working on the newer machine, and turned the moniter off while I went and did some other things for a few hours. When I came back and turned the moniter on, the computer had locked up (screen frozen, no mouse or keyboard).

Turned the computer off, turned it back on and got some beeps. Checked the video card, it was a little loose so tightened it down. No beeps, but also no signal to the moniter. The motherboard has built in video so pulled the card and tried that, still no beeps and no signal.

I fear the motherboard may have died--wouldn't surprise me if it was built during the period when they seemed to have a batch of bad capaciters. What I want to know is with the recent decision by Microsoft to consider a new motherboard a new computer, did I just lose a bunch of money on this copy of WinXP? The computer wasn't even fully functioning yet because it wasn't recognizing the sound card.

Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You shouldn't have a problem re-activating it. If you do, just call Microsoft and they will help you re-activate. They usally are understanding to most situatios.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's not a problem to activate with a new MB, just somewhat of a PITA. You'll end up talking to someone in India, reading off a string of about 80 numbers, then entering another string of about 80 numbers, and it'll be running again. :D

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Hopefully, you will be able to reactivate without a hassle, but who knows, Microsoft's rules regarding OEM disks change on a random basis. :rolleyes:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If this is a retail copy of XP, you have no issue. I've moved a single serial number copy to three motherboards during my trials with my dual-core processor and nForce4 chipsets. :D

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Retail=No Problem :D

OEM=Who Knows? :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice