1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

am I sending infected attachments?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by honah, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honah

honah Thread Starter

i'm having problems sending Word documents to certain email accounts. It seems that higher security accounts won't open them, but lower security (yahoo) wil open them. I had the problem a few weeks ago. I ran an spyware clean up program and it seemed to fix the problem. But now it's happening again and the clean up didn't help.

if i try to open the word doc from email, an internet "cannot find page" error comes up. then, if i save to disk, word opens and shows me the graphic (as if cut and pasted in) of the internet error message.

i'm running windows xp and I can open the attachments in yahoo, but not in microsoft small business server email. but I can forward them from small business and open them in yahoo again.

any ideas?

2. honah

honah Thread Starter

I send attachments to my boss all the time. About a month ago, he and another collegue couldn't open them, but other collegues could. We all use different email servers. If I send it from a Windows Small Business Server email account and try to open it in the same account, the "page cannot be found" error message appears. If I try to save it to disk, when I open it, Word opens and the graphics of "page cannot be found" error message appear, as if cut and pasted into a word doc. But the attachment icon in the email says .doc and appears to be an appropriate size. When I forward them back to my yahoo account, they open fine.

This same thing was happening a month ago and I ran a spyware clean-up, which seemed to fix the problem. But when it started happening again yesterday, I ran the spyware (which found 1 critical object), but it didn't solve the problem.

Plus, Tech Guy wouldn't let me post it, even though it's a small file. Could there be something corrupted in Word? The Microsoft SBS email wouldn't open files that worked fine a few days ago either. I'm stumped (not that it takes much to stump me).

Here's a zipped file, which I've been told scans clean. Someone said something about my micros? Can anyone...um...check my macros?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice