Am wanting to install a bigger hard drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BEN1923

Hello,

A very belated happy new year to one and all,

I want to increase the size of the hard drive on my PC, but i'm not too sure what (tech) info i need to gather and where I find it (on the PC), to enable me to buy the correct drive, therefore making sure that it's compatable with the computer.

I have been told to make sure that it's an "ATA" drive?

Can anyone out there offer me any advice pos?

Thanks all

Ben.

Ben,

It will help to know the "specs" on your computer, operating system, CPU, etc...

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Shouldn't be a big deal if it's a relatively new PC. Drives are pretty much generic in the way the work and what PC you can put them in.

Welcome to TSG!

BEN1923

Hi there bassetman,

Am slowly getting the hang of this, hence not replying to your last correspondence via the "thread" option.

Well the PC is quite old, roughly around 7 to 8 years?.

It was also heavily infected with all sorts of stuff until i installed Norton 2006. This seems to have worked quite well and i am now able go online, ect, but there still a lot of "stuff " left on the hard drive. I don't know if this is what is slowing it right down?

I made an attempt to start to remove it but it's proving to be a little bit more problematic than first thought and I obviously don't want to remove anything that will harm the running of the PC.

you're going to be limited to the size for sure. Nothing over 100 GB will be recognized on an old PC. So don't wast money get a 30 GB IDE/ATA ?? We need to know more about your computer hardware and operating system to be completely accurate. Who makes your computer? What version of Windows is on it? How many drives are currently in it? (Include dvd-rom, CD and so on)

bassetman

You can also start a thread in security to start dealing with the baddies left on your PC. ;)

BEN1923

Hi ya doc,

The spec is as below:

DELL opitex GX1
pentium II processer
(98 on it originally) now Windows XP
A floppy drive
C Drive 4 GB (84320D4 maxor) Now very low.
D Drive (NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:29B DVD/CD-R)

BEN1923

bassetman said:
You can also start a thread in security to start dealing with the baddies left on your PC. ;)
Hi there bassetman, and thanks

How do i do this?

Ben. :)

steppenwolf

Banned
its easy- just dont get the power cord to drive or data cable in backwards or you will fry computer

i hate seagate i think

i like western digital or maybe maxtor

pentium 2?

you might try a 20 or 40 gig drive only

bassetman

I will keep track of this thread, but I believe you are in good hands! ;)

BEN1923

steppenwolf said:
its easy- just dont get the power cord to drive or data cable in backwards or you will fry computer

i hate seagate i think

i like western digital or maybe maxtor

pentium 2?

you might try a 20 or 40 gig drive only
Thanks for the advice Steppenwolf.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online