1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Amateur enthusiast looking for the best available onboard video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neurtic, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

I have anaffinity for onboard graphics cards...
    I am NOT a gamer... but im looing for a new motherboard... and the power search function on newegglackks a bit as it doesnot rate each onboard video card for its performance.

I also have a bias toward Gigabyte boards... Im looking to find out which On-board video GCU is the highest performing.

I tried contacting newegg myself but because of laws, they cannot recommend a board without appearing biased.

My current System consists of the following:
    PC Case: Lian-LI PC-A7110 Black Full Tower Case with 7 Bay HDD Hot-Swap Tower, 1x 3.25” External Bay, 5x 5.25” External Expansion Bays, 6x USB 2.0 Ports, 2x USB 3.0 Ports
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
    • Hyper Transport Bus: 5200 MT/s
    • 4x 4GB (16GB Total) 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM + 1GB Onboard DDR3 RAM
    • 6x SATA2 3.0GB/s Ports
    • 2x SATA3 6.0GB/s Ports
    • 4x USB 2.0 Ports / 2x USB 3.0 Ports / 1x eSATA Port / 1x ieee 1394 (FireWire) Port
    • Expansion Slots:
    • 2x PCI-Express x16
    • 2x PCI-Express x1
    • 3x PCI

3. CPU Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 Black Edition / 6-Core 1075T
    • L2 Cache: 6x 512K
    • L3 Cache: 6MB
    • Hyper Transport Support: Yes
    • CPU Cooling: Heatsink & Fan - Zalman™ CNPS9900ALED 120mm Ball Bearing Fan

4. High End Premium Sound Card:
    • HT Omega Claro + (Gold Plated) Premium Sound Card
    • Digital 7.1 Surround / DTS / Dolby / Pro-Logic / Etc Audio Output
    • Fiber Optic Digital and Coaxial Digital Cable Outputs to TV or A/V Receiver.

5. Optical Drives:
    • LG BluRay ROM / DVD-Combo Drive
    • Pioneer DVD Multi-Drive
    • Lian-Li 3.25” Multi-SD/MMS/FD Internal Card Reader

6. Hard Drives:
    • 2x 74.6GB Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor HDD's configured in RAID '0' to run OS (System recognizes these as a single 20,000 150GB RPM HDD (UNBELIEVEABLY FAST compared to your average 7200RPM hard drive speeds and single SATA cable transfer rates and procesing speeds) By running the OS and ONLY the OS from this RAID 0 Drive... I increase the Hard drive reaction speed and data transfer rates by nearly 500% increase.
    • 3x 750GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDDs (Media Storage Only)
    • 3x 1.5TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs (Media Storage Only)
    • 1x 2.5TB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD (Media Storage Only)

Now that Im beginning to run into a brick wallwith my video now that I've begun to play mildly graphics-intensive games [Need for Speed], no first person shooters tho...I feel I need to upgrade to a board with a more powerful video card onboard...

Any suggestions?

I REALLY prefer not going with a video card independent of the board... I like having my video onboard.

Can anyone tell me which of the following video card is the highest performing of the listed card on this newegg list?

[​IMG]

Any help would be great.

I plan to buy an 8x 8Core AMD processor, newmotherboard + onboard VCU (the best if i canhelp it]...

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I have heard answers like this before and it's such a cop-out. As far as I am aware, there is no law against answering a potential customers question, there is no bias involved.

As for the question, it seems a strange way to go for me. Why would you spend more buying an entirely new motherboard when you can get better performance for less cost by buying a dedicated card. Maybe it's just my penny pinching nature haha.

3. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

but thats the thing... a new card is upward of $500...Motherboards are $15 at most

4. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

I simply would like to know which of the GCU options that come as part of the listed boards is fastest.
    The boards below are 8-core compatible boards... Why not just allow me to use an onboard video card with my 8core processor and motherboard?

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Where are you getting these cards and motherboards from?

You can get reasonable dedicated card, for a low end gamer, for about $20, even a pretty decent GPU won't cost you anywhere near $500! As for the mothboard, I wouldn't use a $15 motherboard catch dust, let alone build a PC on it, you are going to be looking at a good $100 for a half decent, new motherboard.

Meant to put before, your newegg link isn't working for me, not sure why as I can access newegg OK.

Im not stopping you doing anything, just expressing my opinion.

6. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

Damned cordless keyboard/mouse combo. My above qwerty nnumber-pad's zero button is inoperative; I keep forgetting to use the numpad for zeros. That was meant to be $150

7. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

My reason for buying a new Mb has nothing to do with the onboard video... but I would be remissed to look for the board with the best onboard video also.

My MAIN reason for going ahead and getting a new board is the better North/Southbridge tech (Yes, I know Northbridge is called Hypertransport on AMD and quickpath on intel boards... but the southbridge IS important and HAS evolved significantly since this GA-880GA-UD3H board was purchased.

For instance... my current 880GA board has 6 SATA-2 ports, and only 2 SATA-3 ports.
    Additionally... myPCI-E x16 expansion slots are all PCI-E 2.0... the new boards are 2.1 or 3.0.
    Also, my current board has 6 USB 2.0 ports, and only 2 USB3.0 ports.

Most new boards come standard with ALL SATA-3 6.0GB/s ports, USB 3.0 Ports, and PCI-E 2.1 or 3.0 expansion slots.

My intent was to purchased a DECENT external graphics card to piggy-back onto my onboard graphics... but I'd like it to be PCI-E 2.1 or 3.0.

My thought process was that if Im going to spend anywhere from $200-$300 for a new video card and another $189 for the new AMD Eight-Core Zambezi FX8120 CPU... I might as well go ahead and upgrade boards to the newest interface standard (SATA3, USB3.0,and PCI-E 21.1 or 3.0 while im at it, since board cost less than $150 for a good board.

However... that still brings me to my first question... how do i safely configure my CPU overclock to 4.0+ MHz without burning up the CPU?
    Keep in mind that Im using a Lian-Li case...(the best made casesin the world, and the best for cooling every single component without any hot spots in the case.... even without the use of too many fans.

If anyone can walk me thru the process, I'd be willing to sell this old MB/CPU combo to the helper for ½ price once I get the new board, CPU, and video card.

If you're interested...PM me and i'll give you my number and you can walk me thru setting it up.

Keep in mind... I want to overclock as high as safely possible... and then dial it back on notch for extra protection.

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I disagree, the best board overall may not be the one with the best onboard video, it depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

Personally, If I was going to buy a 'decent' dedicated card anyway I wouldn't care about the onboard, would be looking at just about everything else on the board but I couldn't care less about the onboard video.

Agreed.

This is the first time you have mentioned overclocking :) at which point I will bow out as I have very little knowledge of and no real interest in overclocking. However, I would point out that there is no such thing as a 'safe overclock', there is always risk involved, perhaps you meant 'stable' :)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Short answer; you cannot. There is NO safe overclock. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

FWIW I would NOT buy a bulldozer 8core as you post. Bulldozer has problems. You would get better performance from the T1100 or even a 975 quad core.

10. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

I agree, which is why I've never overclocked before....Ive always been a a proponent of just buying the right equipment for the job.

IfI want a full 3.4Ghz...I'll buy a CPU that produces 3.4GHz without overclock... instead of buying a Quad core 2.8GHz CPU and pushing it to its limits to reach 3.4GHzs...

However... as a knowledge seeker...im looking to learn how overclocking works...

Ok getting off topic... Im just looking to find out how to STABLELY increase CPU clock by less than 10-15% without risking MUCH harm to the CPU. The stock CPU clock is 2800... by changing the control to 'manual', it gives me the option to adjust the freg between 200-500; setting it to 250 (1/6th the distance between 200-500) changes the CPU clock to 4,000.

My question is the following: Besides changing the Clock Freq, what else needs to be adjusted to keep the overclock STABLE (not safe, I know Im risking safety attempting to overclock). Which other setting need to be adjusted to make sure it remains stable?

With the Zalman Premium Fan blowing on the CPU and RAM... I would suppose that I have a SLIGHT leeway to increase performance slightly without risking overheating.

Can anyone tell me the safest way to increase clock speed while keeping it as stable as possible?

You Misquoted me...
    I just mentioned that while I knew it was the lest important part of a board... I would be remissed to just overlook an excellent onboard videocard just because it were onboard.

In fact... Last Night... I went ahead and got a mid level Tier 2-3 external video card suffiicient enough to play my racing games with no problem.

I went ahead and got a card that was on clearance:
    [​IMG]

EVGA - GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

• 2GB GDDR3

• GeForceGT520

• No of Processors: 48

• Clock Speed of Video Memory (RAMDAC): 830MHz

• Maximum 2D Resolution (at 32-bit color) Up to 2560 x 1600
    • Maximum 3D Resolution (at 32-bit color) Up to 2560 x 1600

• Supports MPEG-1, 2 Yes

• TV-Out Yes

• Stereo Sound Yes

• S-Video Output No

• Video Format DVD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2

• Software Included EVGA OC scanner, EVGA Precision Tuning Utility, NVIDIA unified drivers

• System Requirements 300W or greater power supply with a minimum of 18 amps on the 12V+ rail

• Graphics Chip NVIDIA

• NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology Delivers smooth video and brilliant colors.

• DirectX 11 support
    Enhances gameplay by delivering ultrarealistic images, detail and texture and improved lighting effects that create lifelike - interactivity.

• Mini HDMI output Plus 1 single-link DVI-I HDCP-capable connector and 1 dual-link DVI-I HDCP-capable connector to ensure flexible connectivity.

For the clearance price...this card willbe more than enough to support any racing game I play (Need For Speed Shift I & II, Need For Speed - The Run, and any of the Final Fantasy Series....with smooth and seemless ease.

So... can anyone tell me what else I need to adjust to keep my board/RAMM/CPU stable if I increase the frq to 250, allowing the CPU to run @ 4GHz?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to overclock [and you fully accept the risk of parts failure] as a learning experience, that is fine. The very first thing to do is to read the guide at the top of the forum regarding overclocking. If you have any further questions, then post them.

Note you do have to watch your voltages since many mb that have an "Auto" setting for vcore, vdimm, chipset, etc will up the voltages when you change the FSB. I have both an asus and a gigabyte board here that do just that when I overclock.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice