1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amazon and ie 10 on win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mikeysaling, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeysaling

mikeysaling Thread Starter

recently had this message on Amazon

Supported Browsers

There has been a serious vulnerability disclosed in version 3.0 of the SSL protocol. It's no longer considered safe to use. We'll no longer support this legacy protocol as of 1 November 2014.

What can I do to get round this problem - I tried to upgrade to ie 11 but that is not possible and trying to upgrade to 8.1 also doesn't work well (my download speed from Tiscali is only 1/2 meg!! and the download is 3.6 GB!

any suggestions? and what exactly is the problem amazon are referring to?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have a friend, relative or neighbor with better internet service who will let you download 8.1 at his/her place?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

OR
    if that is not possible see this
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3009008.aspx

scroll down the page to the Microsoft Fixit and run that for IE

here it is for you
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3009008

whether or not that will allow connection to Amazon depends on their site, but I have a feeling that if they realise that their site does not allow the other protocols they will soon arrange for it to do so, as they will lose many customers who find they cannot connect.

IE11 actually will in itself not solve the issue except in so far as stated by Microsoft - the SSL 3.0 protocol is in itself disabled on downloads from when this apparent security weakness came to light

4. mikeysaling

mikeysaling Thread Starter

Hello macboatmaster - thanks so much for the link - what i'll do is give it a couple of days to see what happens after the 'deadline' and then run the 'fix' . I'm sure we have not heard the last of this particular topic.

best from mikey

Also Terry - great suggestion but unfortunately in our village we are all confined to 'slow' internet - nobody has anything half decent - we are too small a community to even have the alternatives to bt copper.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Cheers
    Please do post what happens
    It will doubtless benefit many people browsing the forums

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1136447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice