1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Amazon Fire Cube

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shgart, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shgart

shgart Thread Starter

I want to eliminate cable service which provides my internet access for my Apple MacBook Air as well as TV. I am interested in the Amazon fire cube. I own an Arris router and rent a receiver from the cable company. My question is will the fire cube provide wifi connectivity for my laptop? If it will exactly what equipment will I need? If it will not service my laptop is there any other way to cut cable but still have internet access on my computer?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think the cube is a streaming device which still needs an ISP to provide internet service.

shgart likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Other common types of internet service for the residence are DSL and satellite. A few communities offer Internet over Power Lines. In some rural areas Fixed (direct line-of-sight) Wi-Fi may be offered.

shgart likes this.
  4. shgart

shgart Thread Starter

thank you I will look into this

5. shgart

shgart Thread Starter

thank you I will look into this

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Keep in mind exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

For me, I wanted to cut my TV bill, but keep my cable internet service. So,

Last summer I cancelled my cable TV service but kept my cable internet service. That cut my $153/month Mediacom cable bill by $83/month. Then for $40/month I added a live TV streaming service (YouTube TV) that provides all the TV stations that I care about (and added a couple I did not previously have). And I keep another $43/month in my pocket. :)

My choice of a streaming TV service was dictated by live sports, as that is almost all the TV I watch. Other people like movies and start with something like Netflix.

shgart likes this.
  7. shgart

shgart Thread Starter

Thank you so much, you have answered all my questions!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Good luck with your quest to cut costs. It can get confusing!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice