1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Amazon HD 8 tablet

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by TOGG, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Last month I was given an amazon tablet for my birthday. Because I am very old and my mobile phone just makes and receives calls and texts, I am on a steep learning curve with such things as tapping, swiping and onscreen keyboards!

My main concern at the moment is getting protection for the device which is now on our home network and therefore, I assume, exposed to the internet any time it is switched on. I have Eset Internet Security on my W7 desktop computer and would be happy to have that on my tablet but I'm wondering what sort of security other tablet users recommend?

Another concern is the Silk browser which appears to be like Internet Explorer in Windows and cannot be removed. My preference would be the Opera browser for Android and I wonder if anyone has successfully installed a browser of their choice on their tablet?

2. irbrenda

irbrenda

I just got the Amazon Fire 10, and I installed the Google Play Store, and installed Google Chrome. (And I'm old, too! LOL. Seriously) I haven't thought about security on the tablet. I guess I should. But I have been on Apple devices for so many years, I almost forgot about viruses etc.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm in my 70's so I'm happy to help. I helped my sister-in-law who will be 82 in May with her Kindle.

If your home network uses a router, you are behind a firewall. You don't have to worry at home.
    I use ESET free on my tablets (3) and phone.

I have the Samsung Browser (3 of the devices are Samsung so that was on it from new), Brave, AdBlockPlus browser and Firefox installed on tablets.

What is the exact model of HD 8 because Amazon makes a lot of devices.
    Googleplay can be added to some devices. If that can be added, you can download another browser or two.

4. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

plodr,

Thanks for the offer of assistance, I am very much the old dog having difficulty learning new tricks!

We do use a router supplied by our ISP so we should, as you say, have the benefit of its built in firewall. The tablet is, as previously stated, a Fire HD 8 and its OS version is 6.3.1.4. When last checked there were no updates available for it.

The free version of Eset Mobile Security seems to be available in the Amazon store so I am looking into that. I am aware that, if I want to make use of 'free' software or services, there is always a price to pay in having email addresses and browsing history etc. harvested and sold on. I have a particular aversion to Google and so try not to use any of their 'products'.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I understand. That means you don't want to install or use any of the google play store apps. (I refuse to install the chrome browser on any computer that runs windows and one of the first things I do on my android devices is to download another browser to use. I do have a gmail address. I also search with google but I made sure to turn off history and I go in regularly to check that nothing is saved).

I don't own a Kindle so I can't see what apps are available to you.
    I do have the Kindle app installed on my large android tablet and use it to read books. Amazon does offer free books and I think I've downloaded about 7 of them to read.
    Start here https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-eBooks/zgbs/digital-text/154606011
    Click on Top 100 free. The list changes so the books I got before might not be in there now.

I also have OverDrive on my tablet. If your library supports it, you can borrow books from your library. I'm currently reading a Swedish mystery, translated into English on my 10" tablet.

I go to a Canadian site https://www.fadedpage.com/
    and have downloaded very old murder mysteries.
    I just checked and some allow downloads as mobi files.

You might want to stick your nose in here and see what people are asking about in the Fire Tablets section. https://www.amazonforum.com/

6. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Well, I have made progress of sorts and now have the free version of Eset Mobile Security installed, though I'm not at all sure that I have got the various features set up correctly. It is however updating itself and is currently set to scan whenever the tablet is on charge.

I shall continue to work towards getting a browser of my choice installed and try and get my email working. When you have large hands and fat fingers like me, even the simplest things involving the onscreen keyboard can get very frustrating!

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Use a pen with a rubber tip. The rubber tip is at the end that would have an eraser on a pencil. We have various dollars stores in the US and that's where I bought a few. Now our plumber and a group that repairs homes gives away pens with rubber tips so we have several. I keep one in my purse, one on the kitchen table, one in the computer room, one in the tv room and one in my night table in the bedroom!

8. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Now you mention it, my son did once say something about a 'stylus' and I remember that some of the earliest touch screen gadgets I saw (but never owned) did always seem to come with a device to operate them. Good call plodr!

plodr likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice