1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Amazon mouse: any such thing as a universal receiver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bj nick, Feb 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have several Amazon mice laying around that work fine, but their receivers have been list or damaged over time. Is there any "universal" receiver I can use? Replacement ones are expensive......

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As far as I know Amazon don't actually make anything they just sell stuff.

You need the actual make and model but even then if the mice are different they would probably only work with a matching receiver.

If you already have a mouse with a receiver see if the other mice work with it or you could buy a cheap wireless mouse and test them with it's receiver (aka wireless Usb adapter/dongle).

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I assume you mean lost.
    I have 2 brands of wireless mice: MS and Logitech. Both brands have places under the mice to store the receivers.
    When you remove the receiver, store it in the mouse. It won't get lost.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Plodr: good suggestion. I have laptop which goes everywhere, occasionally a receiver will slip out or get damaged. Stuff happens.
    Dlipman: good options.....was hoping to avoid buying yet another mouse.....I have 4 sitting around that are in perfect condition with no receiver; all Amazon mice. Frustrating not to have a universal option. I don't claim to be the greatest at keeping track of things lol.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Liverpool: yeah, that's about it: they're all individualized....you lose the receiver, throw the mouse out. Ridiculous. Of course I've tried them all in different combinations; they won't work with anything but the original mouse.

7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    bj nick: It's not so ridiculous. Imagine being in a room with a dozen people all using Wireless Mice and some were using the same "code" and your Laptop acts like a Ghost has taken control over it.

This actually happened when the first Wireless Mice were released. Having "matched pairs" of Mice and Dongles mitigates that from happening.

Does your Laptop have BlueTooth ?

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Never thought of that! Yes, Bluetooth.

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    BlueTooth removes the concept of a Dongle for the mouse ( presuming you have an embedded BlueTooth and not a BlueTooth USB adapter ). Thus making BlueTooth a semi-universal solution. Just a Mouse, no dongle. The added benefit is it could be used with SmartPhones and Tablets.

10. replay

replay

Selling a computer
    Then realizing u left the dongle for your nice k/b and mouse combo in it
    ........ it will ruin your day

SarahSims and bj nick like this.
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice