1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Amber Flashing Light on Dell Dimension 4700C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nira, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nira

Nira Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4700C that I recently inherited from my mother when she bought a new computer. Initially, she gave up on it (without consulting me) because her monitor was blank when she turned it on. I installed a new video card and voila, a working computer.

...for about 3 days. I go to boot it up today and I get the amber blinking light of death, or so it is called. I read a previous thread on here suggesting it was the power cord, so I tried a different cord of the same type. Same problem. I went to Dell's tech support online and followed the instructions there: turn off computer, remove and reseat components, turn on computer. Tried this twice to no avail.

The computer was purchased in 2005, so I doubt it would be worth my time taking it to a shop to have it fixed. Any ideas on what it could be (other than the power supply) that I could possibly fix/replace myself? Anything is appreciated. I was trying to get this up and running to turn into a gaming PC.

Thanks for your time!

~Nira

2. replay

replay

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Nira, as a general rule, the simpler the component the less likely it is to fail. It's pretty hard to get any simpler than a power cord. No surprise that fix didn't work! So, you probably do indeed have a bad power supply. A decent replacement is pretty cheap, but you might want to either try a loaner PSU in the machine or invest in a power supply tester before you invest in a PSU. It could be a bad motherboard.

In any event, I would give some thought to what games you want to play on this computer. Have you checked the hardware recommendations for the games you want to play against the 4700's hardware? Unless you want to run fairly undemanding games, this machine isn't likely to work well for you, and you can buy a new machine way cheaper than you can do any really useful upgrades.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Along with the flashing light is it beeping at all? On dell computers you can get the beep codes for that model and what the different colored lights mean. I just replaced a faulty ram module in a dell vostro tower because the on button was blinking amber and it had 2 short beeps.Since the computer is 6 years old it could be a bad board, bad ram, or a bad power supply. If you are able to get it running right it just might be ok for everyday computing.

5. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Which light is flashing? Most dell systems have ABCD lights, these will tell us exactly what is wrong.

6. Nira

Nira Thread Starter

The power light on the front is flashing amber. I checked the ABCD lights on the back and they are all off.

I will try the power supply, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just take out my new graphics card and chalk the rest up to simply being old.

Thank you all for your comments!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice