1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ambient modem nodialtone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jangar, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jangar

jangar Thread Starter

I just received my new ambient MD563X pci modem. I installed it, and used the driver on the cd with the modem. I put it on com 5, and then I disabled com 1, and 2. At first I couldn't get the modem to dial at all, then eventually I reinstalled it, and it did dial. The problem is; as soon as I turn the computer the modem picks up the line, and the dialtone goes off the phone I have hooked to the computer. Of course then when I try to use the modem it dials, even though I told it to wait for a dialtone before dialing.
    I am using win98se, on an aopen ax59proII MB
    I finally reinstalled my old isa modem and it works fine. I just wish it would work with xp I wouldn't have to worry about this!

2. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Got a couple of questions for ya:

Why did you disable Com Ports 1 & 2?

Explain more about why the modem picks up the phone line as soon as you turn on the computer? Do you have a program in startup that is trying to access the internet?

As far as waiting for the dialtone before dialing put two commas in front of the number you are dialing and that will tell the modem to wait a few seconds before dialing.

Hope this helps. :)

3. jangar

jangar Thread Starter

I disabled com 1, and 2 because the folks I bought said to try that, and install it onn com5. I thought I should be able to put the modem on any com that wasn't being used. There is a utility that installs with the modem to let you change the com setting. I tried to put it on different ones, but I got the same result

No I don't have a program running in background that would be trying to access the internet at startup.

4. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Modems.

Click on Properties. Click on the Connections tab and make sure the Wait for Dail Tone before Dialing has a check. Click OK at the bottom.

Click on the Diagnostics tab. Highlight the Com Port your modem is on. Click on More Info and copy and paste the reults in here for me.

You haven't had any thunderstorms lately have you? I've seen quite a few modems hold the phone line open after getting a jolt of electricity through them from a storm. Just a thought.

Hope this helps. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice