1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amd 3000 and ati questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcxpert247, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcxpert247

pcxpert247 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I had a 2500+ and i just bought a 3000+ and was wondering if that was a good move. I needed a new processor any way because the 2500 was running way too hot... like 70 so i figured i would get a upgrade to the 3000.

Also i bought an asus 9600xt video card and was wondering if it was the same as the ati versioin or if it is better or worse.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

What type of heatsink and fan do you have for the CPU?

Considering the new one is higher rated, I would think it would produce even more heat than the 2500. Are you sure you had the heatsink and fan installed right on the 2500? In any case, either one should run about 40-45C at idle. Shouldn't go over 55C even after playing games for hours.

The video card should perform about the same as a normal ATI. The other makers generally just take the same chip and slap on a different fan to be unique. Maybe tweak the core and memory speeds a little.

3. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday!

I messed up my account so i had to re register ... i am pcxpert... i have a volcano 12 heat sink runs at up to 6000 rpm... it is good.. i get 20-30c processor.... i just wanted to know weather i made a good choice of processor... and also the video card

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If the temps are all good and you're happy with what you have, then all's good in the world. :D (y)

I almost went to a 3000 too last month but didn't feel like spending the extra money and got a 2600 instead. :rolleyes:

Should be fine til next year when I move up to an AMD 64 4000. ;)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 2500+ can be overclocked to over 3200+ levels, is considerable cheaper, and offers minimal performance increase over the 2500+ (500 equivilant Pentium Mhz's)

As for the temps, they should generate the same temps with all other factors remaining the same. Sometimes just reseating the heatsink will result in a temperature drop or re-applying thermal paste.

6. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday!

with my 2500 i actually changed the heat sink 3 times and it stayed the same temp... i think the processor had a defect in it... oh well the 3000 seems to run alot faster any way... does anyone happen to know how to over clock this one.... i think it is locked which kinda sucks

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

The only way to OC the current XP cpu's is with the FSB and voltage.

The multipliers are locked on all of them except for the XP-M models and 64 FX. So I've heard, anyway..

But then I'm happy with the normal speed. ;) Too much work trying out all different combinations, having the PC crash, resetting the BIOS over and over again..blah blah blah...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice