Amd 64

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Forseer

I'm thinking of getting a new PC with an AMD 64bit processor and was wondering if you needed Windows xp 64 edition for games that can run in 64bit?

alwrmc

B.L.
If you are asking about purchasing Windows x64, it is a free download or you can order it on CD for S/H ($6.57 for me in Tennessee). I did it specifically to run the Far Cry 64 bit version. So far so good with it. Is it a must have? No, but it's interesting to "play" with and if you do a dual boot, it's not a problem to your other OS.

the 64 bit version is availible for download, i believe its a one year trial.
I have been expirencing some stability problems with it, and I am unsure its its worth it right now because of the lack of 64 bit apps

Forseer

I'll soon be purchasing a new computer with an AMD processor(probably a 4000+) and a Nvidia 7800gtx. I wondered when xp64 would come pre-installed on computers?

alwrmc

B.L.
Forseer: JMO (Just my opinion) but I don't believe that x64 will get the nod for pre-installs on many machines. The driver support built in to it is pretty good, but not nearly so good as XP. I would suggest that you take the download or order the cd version and try it (dual boot). The download is a 180 day trial by the way. I intend to leave my install on my 2nd HD and see what software comes along before the trial ends. You will need to make sure that you have drivers for your system before you install x64. My install had drivers for my video card, ethernet, trackball and of course the keyboard and monitor. My Audigy had no 64bit drivers built in and so I dropped back to the AC97 sound on the mobo (not much difference in the sound between the two anyway). I still have not found 64 bit drivers for the Audigy gamer, my Epson scanner or printers. I did download 64bit drivers from ATI video card and they did make a difference!
The x64 install seems stable but I frequently have to restart it before Far Cry will load. Far Cry just hangs and I have to reboot. It always seems to load right on up if I boot into x64 and I have not found a reason for the problem, yet.

Forseer

Are the drivers for the graphics card etc just 64bit versions of the current drivers? How does the dual boot thing work? Is it a lot of fuss?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts