1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amd 901 mhz cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i just bought a amd 901 mhz cpu, but now i want to get the motherboard and all for it, but i don't know if it's slot or socket or what. (i don't actually have it yet). how can i find out? and is it just me, or does 901 seem like an odd number?

2. moebius

moebius

9o1??? its fine if all ull ever do is surf the web, watch movies, play songs, use office etc. etc.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yeah, im not worried about how good it is, i want to know what motherboard type i need.... slot or socket?

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

p.s.- have an amd 1ghz, and that is all i do...

5. dzones

dzones

amd came out with a slot a 900 and a socket a 900. so there is no way of knowing by that.
    it reads as 901 but it is a 900. it is just the way windows can read them sometimes is all.

6. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--Depends...., a 900 Mhz Athlon could be either the ole Slot A "Classic" or that of a Socket A "Thunderbird" type. Also, if it is a AMD "Duron" then it is "Socket A" If what u r sayin now that it's a 1 Ghz then it is definitely a Sockt A "Thunderbird" or "Duron." Hope that helps.

7. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

no, the computer i am on is a 1ghz, this is a cpu i just bought on ebay.

8. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Oh, I see. Surprised the seller din't giv that information on ebay. Usually they do. I hav bought a few there meself. Slot A resembles the older Pentium 3 Slot1's in appearance; if u know what i mean ?

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yeah, i emailed the seller with the question, it always takes them so long to reply...

10. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

---well then, u should here somethin soon from the seller about that...., since u were the Hi Bidder and then you'll know what type MB u'll need.

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

So... how much is a 900mhz AMD CPU go for? $10 ;)

The seller should have stated if its a SLOT-A, Socket-A, Duron or Athlon...

As long as its a SOCKET-A CPU, it will work with ANY 32bit AMD motherboard. if its a "slot-A" CPU... then you have a lot of work to locate a USED board... those CPUs are worthless - much like PII-PIII Slot-1 CPUs.

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

it's a socket, i know that, and compilerx, may i ask what you meant by an amd 900 going for 10?

13. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--what compilerxp mean't was $10. More like 25-$40 from what i've seen. There is actually more of a demand for them cuz they'r fairly rare. FSB is 200 Mhz on that 900. Slot A's r even priced higher if you chk the stats for pricing on them @ pricewatch.com on them.

14. pronute

pronute

Kerri Ann be very careful buying older Athlons and Durons, some first run Socket A's destroyed them selves when removed from the socket, if this processor is used I hope you have a warranty on it.

15. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks pronute,

i'm starting to think i made a bad choice...
    rusty, you're the only one who's made me feel like it's half decent... i paid 26, including s&h...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice