1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD 939 Socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Space Cowboy, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Thread Starter

Whats the biggest and baddest CPU avalible to drop into this puppy?

Is it the AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo ??

Thanks

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

You got it!!!

3. Space Cowboy

Thanks Rich,
    Do you know if thats the end of the line? Will there be anything faster for this specific socket? Also will the Toledo Core recognise two sided memory sticks? (Winchester will not)

THX

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually socket 939 is done as Am2 has taken over so there will not likely be any new entries there and while I think I saw no problem with the ram, I cannot seem to verify what you are asking.

5. mooml

mooml

Actually i've heard AMD plans to put the x2 5000+ and the fx-62 on socket 939.

6. Space Cowboy

What about one of these: ??

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Or this one ??

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 San Diego 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

I'm not sure which would give the best bang for the buck. I keep reading that the Opteron is overclockable to the point of being as fast as a FX62 .. This DFI Mother that I have is supposed to be a overclockers dream come true. It sure has allot of fancy features in the BIOS ..

Any Tips ??

Thanks

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fx-55 is a great buy at that price and a 250gig hd too (y)
    I just ordered one of those combos yesterday.

If it were me, I would go with the fx rather than the opty.

8. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

They had that processor alone for $139, shipped free about a week ago.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Oh well I needed another storage drive anyway. My backup drive is just getting too small for more than a few image files. :)

11. ioTus

ioTus

So, I'm sorry to ask the same question again, but seem to be a bit slow today and can't make sense of this:

Reading a few of the reviews on the FX-60 2.6ghz shows that its quite good, and is the biggest and most baddest (goodest) off-the-shelf processor out there for the 939 line, but some of the lower specc'ed socket 939 CPU's can overclock to be AS fast as this.. but the bottom line,

the FX-60 is $834!!!!!!! What!? Is it really worth that much? The only benefits I see on it are:

1) 2,000mhz HT
    2) 2x 1mb L2 Cache.

Well the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4ghz has that too, and could easily, without breaking a sweat, be O/Ced to 2.6 ghz and, spec-sheet wise, match a processor thats almost 3 times the initial price!!! So, whats the big deal, here, is there really that much difference? Or should I really shell over that much cash to get the flagship model of an outdated fleet?

Any help appreciated. I don't understand all these code-names (Toledo, Denmark, Amsterdam, Giveadamn, etc), its so confusing now, so much to keep track of!

12. GripS

GripS

Here ya go. No the FX-60 is NOT worth that much money. Here's the route i would take if you are stuck with getting 939.

Get an Opteron 165 or a 170. Overclock it quite easily on air cooling. Enjoy.

Obviously there is more to it. But overclocking a cheaper chip would be the way to go. Depending on the stepping some folks hit 2.8ghz on air.

13. ioTus

ioTus

Hm.... Significantly cheaper, half as much as the 64 X2's i mention above... but they do have the 1,000mhz HT versus the X2's 2,000mhz HT (Its the system BUS speed, i think?)

I do a LOT of power computing, no gaming at all. I do Photoshop, Flash, internet, and media players all at the same time. I also produce music and dabble in 3d modelling/rendering, so I'm looking for the most powerful processor the 939 platform will offer, but don't want to get suckered into paying for something that's more hype than anythign else.

Opteron a good route to go for that?

14. Space Cowboy

I'm still tryin' to figure this out also.. Not gonna part with any cash till I do ..

Thanks for bumpin the thread ioTus ;)

15. GripS

GripS

On all current opterons and X2's the Hypertransport speed is 2000mhz. Some companies report the actual clock versus the effective clock. It's DDR(Double Data Rate) so it's core clock is 1000mhzX2=2000mhz. Opterons have 1mb L2 cache vs. 512mb of L2 cache found on most X2 chips. AMD chips are not cache reliant. So either way you go there is very little difference in performance as far as cache is concerned.

To the both of you if you really want a screaming system that has a better upgrade path go with a Core 2 Duo. Those pretty much spank AMD's offerings right now. With a little (and i mean little) overclocking on lower end Core 2 Duo's you can beat AMD's current best chip at a fraction of the cost.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice