1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD APU system Thoughts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dustyjay, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I am making my Christmas Wishlist, and I am interested in building the following system I have the parts with out links already plus HDDs and Optical Drives. Also have Win7 Pro and Ultimate 64bit already.

Just wondering if any one has experience with the AMD APUs and might have recommendations. This is not going to be a gaming machine. Will be used for general apps such as MS Office, Video viewing, light gaming (not video intensive) Music encoding (Ripping Vinyl to Digital).

Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943

Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128515

Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173
    Case Antec 300
    PSU Corsair Enthusiast CMPSU 650TX

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not too good at evaluating this stuff, dustyjay, but if you are not familiar with Barebone Kits, I'd suggest you take a look. My last 3 builds have come from these and they give you a definite leg up on the system, if you find something you want, and a considerable price break over the parts separately. They even have "No OS" systems, though they are often priced well even with the OS included.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I looked at the BB Kits, I prefer Gigabyte Mobos ( though have not looked at Asus mobos yet. I would like to avoid having a descrete video card but want HDMI. I also want to stick with an ATX FF rather than mATX. Also the only parts I do not already have (New in Boxes) are the APU, Mobo, and Ram. This is not a necessity computer but a I want to try it out Computer. And the MRS told me that I could choose a Christmas Present that is Computer related this year and she would pay for it :) I did see a few BBkits that would be worth the money (but not the ECS one) but they all seemed to have mATX Motherboards.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. Just wanted to make sure you knew about them. Maybe later on or when somebody else wants to build one. They are a good place to start if there is one matching someone's needs.

Good luck. I hope you get the presents you want. :D

Make sure you bump this back to the top during the day tomorrow and I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    Thanks. I just looked at the Asus FM1 Boards, it seemed that there were far fewer reviews on new egg for them, and they were not encouraging.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the board you linked to and it looks good; mature board with not too many bios fixes. I always look at the number of bios releases and what was fixed. Sometimes board makers just have a bad design that they try and "fix" with bios updates. One thing unless you really must have the corsair ram, this kingston hyperX ram will save you approx $50.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

Runs at the same speed and voltage as the corsair

FWIW I prefer gigabyte boards over asus as well (y)

7. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I have absolutely no problem with Kingston Ram. I have used and still use it. TBH I used the Memory tool at new egg to look for compatible ram. So to save nearly 50 bucks Kingston it is. Tht will mean more Kindle books for me.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    Well the MRS promised to order the parts for me. I hope she doesn't procrastinate like she did for my Birthday present. It was only 5.5 months late :eek: I will not however get to touch the parts until Christmas day. She is going to use them as my 10 y/o daughters Present to her daddy. But there is another thing. If the build goes as well as I suspect it will, she gets this machine, my daughter gets her machine, and I get to move the daughters machine out to the garage (Man Cave) as my research machine/jukebox.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice