AMD Athlon 1.4 gigahertz problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

benmp3master2

I just bought a new pc. A AMD Athlon 1.4 gigahertz 128mb ram 40 gig hd. Sometimes when I turn it on the bios only detects it as a 1050 megahertz. What is going on? I can go into bios and auto configue the cpu. That will fix it for a while but when I turn it off it does it again.

Thanks

I have the same thing. Mine is a P4 1.5 Ghz and when I start it the bios recognizes it as only 1380 Mhz, but everything else says it is running at 1.5 Ghz, so I am thinking now that it is running at the correct speed, and my bios just reports it incorrectly, so I just ignore it now. However, yours it quite a bit of a difference, if it really is running is at 1050 Mhz, then you might not want to ignore it. It looks as if you know how it is supposed to be configured... I don't see why it keeps reseting back to 1050. I'm not sure, but check that your cmos jumper isn't set to clear. I think some boards are shipped with it in the clear position, but I would think that if you bought it already running it should have been changed already.

apparently your bios aren't holding the 133 mhz front side bus speed and defaulting to the 100 speed.
Your multiplier is 10.5
So 100 bus speed equals 1050
133 bus speed equals 1400

Wish I could offer more help, check your front side bus setting, you may have to enter it manually rather than auto detect to get it to stickl. Depends on your bios options.

benmp3master2

When your pc does that does your power light come on? Mine goes off when it does that then comes back on when I auto config. I have a American Megatrends Bios and I cant do any manual config.

Thanks

You may want to download a program that can tell you your real time clock speed, to see if your bios is reporting the speeds incorrectly or if your computer actually is running at 1050mhz. One that I can think of is Fresh diagnose, just run the processor benchmark and then click the comparison drop down menu and select speed, I believe wcpuid is another program that will tell you the real time speed of your processor. Fresh Diagnose is located at Freshdevices.com Hope this helps

benmp3master2

I have downloaded fresh Diagnose and some other programs from AMD. When the bios picks it up as 1050 the software also picks it up as 1050. The Bios is a AMI Bios version 1.21.05. Also when the computer is running at 1050 the bios reports the cpu frequency as 100megahertz instead of 133 and highlights it like something is wrong.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online