1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amd athlon II x4 630 help :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cogman, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cogman

cogman Thread Starter

hey all, I recently purchased an Amd Athlon 630 X4. When I installed it, I tried to boot into windows but it just wouldn't work. It would get up to starting windows and would just do nothing.

things I have done:
    Updated BIOS
    Reinstalled OS with my dual core in then installed my quad core
    Ive played around with the voltages in the BIOS but still no luck
    Although I tried under clocking it by changing the multiplier in the BIOS from 14 to 12
    and then reduced the voltage by 0.050. And that's the only time it boots up, and even then its not stable when I stress test it.
    I tried updating my BIOS again using Q flash, for the first time I successfully managed to boot into windows with all the default settings, but as soon as I restarted the same problem but with a quick BSOD I couldn't read and then the PC restarting again. When I put my dual core everything works fine.

System specs

My dual core is an AMD athlon 64 X2 5000+
    4gb ddr2 - 2 dell sticks and 2 zeppalin
    Ati radeon 4870
    GA mA770 ud3- rev 2.0
    OCZ stealxstream 600w
    Windows 7 - 64bit

Guys I will really appreciate your help Thanks.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Double check your memory voltage and frequency settings.
    Make sure they match what the memory actually requires.
    Check the timings on the memory.
    If one set has slower timings,make sure to put those in the first
    dual channel slots.
    Might try booting with just one set of matched memory to see
    if there might be some compatability issue.

3. cogman

cogman Thread Starter

Ive increasing the voltages of almost everything, no luck :( and using one set of my memory sticks ( zeppalin ones)

4. cogman

cogman Thread Starter

anyone?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, what bios did you install? Post the exact file ie FG or whatever.

Next when you install a new cpu, I always recommend clearing cmos. Did you do that?
    Next when you install/reinstall these cpus, are you cleaning all parts and using new thermal compound?

Neither one of these appear anywhere on the approved memory list at gigabyte. When you use memory that has not been tested and found to work, it may or may not work. You are in effect a beta tester. FWIW when you combine memory from different mfg and most likely different speed, timings, and voltage req, you are asking for problems.

Next is this a dell version of windows by chance or did you install a full retail version of windows?

If you are wondering why swapping a cpu can cause a problem with memory, the memory controller is part of the cpu.

6. cogman

cogman Thread Starter

I do not have the dell version of windows, Infact I purchased windows 7 as an upgrade. Maybe the RAM issue could be my problem, although if I had already booted into windows once before with all default settings as said in my first post, then how could the RAM possbile be effecting the CPU?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not think you are understanding; when you swapped cpus, you also changed memory controllers. Simply because it booted once does NOT mean it is stable. It is not the ram affecting the cpu, it is the cpu [memory controller] affecting the ram.

Here is what I would do;

1 With the quad core installed, open the case and clear cmos. Note with a gigabyte board you do not use a jumper. You simply short the two pins with a screwdriver for a few seconds. Read your mb manual for detailed instructions regarding clearing cmos.

2 Pw ON and enter the bios. Load optimal defaults; save settings and restart.

3 Run memtest on the system. This runs from bootable media ie CD so no need for the os to be installed.

4 If there are no errors on memtest, then download and run the hard drive maker's diagnostic. Again this is from bootable media so no need for the os to be installed

5 If all of the hardware checks out OK, then restart and again enter the bios. Go to PC Health and check your temps and voltages. Post the cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values here for review.

If all checks out OK, then you can clean install windows using the win7 install dvd. Note when you did the install with the dual core, setup installs a dual core HAL not a quad core one. This is not usually a problem however when you are trying to troubleshoot a problem, it is best not to induce more variables into the problem.

BTW I am assuming that you are cleaning the old thermal compound and applying fresh thermal compound each time you swap cpus.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice