1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amd burn out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellorelay, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellorelay

hellorelay Thread Starter

help! i have burned 3 amd processors already in my new system!

installation of processor #1 (amdxp 2200+):
    a thin layer of thermal grease was applied. heatsink was installed. processor was installed perfectly and ran well until i shut the system down, removed then replaced with the same heatsink fan. system would not boot afterwards and processor burned out.

installation of processor #2 (amdxp 2200+):
    a thin layer of thermal grease was applied. heatsink was installed. system did not boot at all. processor burned out within seconds.

installation of processor#3 (amdxp 2400+):
    took system to store to have installed by A+ certified technician. system booted for a minute (said the technician). processor burned out seconds later.

mobo: soyo sy-kt333 dragon ultra (platinum ed.)
    heatsink: thermaltake volcano 9 running @ max rpm
    psu: antec pp-403x 400 watt w/ smart fan feature

might this be a motherboard problem?

if anyone could supply any help whatsoever, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Is this a new motherboard? If so, I would definitely get a replacement.

Very unlikely that both you and the technician installed the cpus incorrectly.

:(

3. hellorelay

hellorelay Thread Starter

yes, JSanguancheu, it's a brand new motherboard. in your, or anyone's experience, is it a common occurance where a faulty motherboard will burn out a cpu? or might my problem lie within my psu? thanks for your input! i've asked around and around and no one can seem to find the problem. i know that it may be difficult to diagnose a problem like this without having physical access to the system, but if i could narrow down the suspect components through anyone else's experience with this same problem it would be a great help. any alternate suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!