1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved AMD Chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSC, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

I am not exactly sure where to post this question and I am a computer noob. My question deals with chipset drivers for amd processor and graphic cards. I have a ryzen 1700x and a rx580. I have downloaded the most recent driver for the rx580 and have the adrenaline software installed. I do not have any issues, but have been watching Carey's videos and want a better understanding of what the difference in chipsets might be? I can not find a specific chipset for the ryzen 1700x. Thanks for any help and sorry again if this is not the correct category to post this question.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The chipset driver is for your motherboard, not for the processor. You would download the chipset driver from the motherboard support page.

3. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Sorry that is correct. I did say I was a noob :) So I have a follow-up question. Looking at the support page for the MSI B350M Bazooka, I see a chipset with this information -
    AMD Chipset Driver
    Version
    Release Date
    2018-11-02
    File Size
    722.72 MB
    Note
    Include AMD SMBus Driver、AMD Graphics Driver.

It states it contains a graphics driver, but I have already downloaded the latest driver for the rx580 from the amd support page. Is the chipset for the mobo and the driver for graphics card included all in one download, no matter the site downloaded from? Should I download the latest chipset from the MSI support page?
    Here is information on the graphics driver from amd (I did not download the optional driver) -
    Revision Number
    Adrenalin Edition 18.9.3
    File Size
    318 MB
    Release Date
    11/5/2018

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is the chipset driver for the motherboard AND includes a video driver for the onchip video that the board supports. Install this driver first then install the latest driver you downloaded for the 580.

5. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Ok, what if this install did not happen in this order? Would this hurt performance? Is it worth it or recommendation to uninstall the driver for the 580 and follow this order? Thanks for your help

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it works ok, leave it alone. If you are having problems, install the chipset driver then install the video driver.

7. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Thanks for your help and no problems, so I will leave it alone for now. Would windows possibly install a chipset?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Windows will install whatever native drivers it has during setup OR via update. The drivers from the mfg are superior to the windows drivers [which are designed for stability NOT performance]

9. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help and I will probably post some other noob questions in the future.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice