1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD CPU Underclocked Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kryloc, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kryloc

kryloc Thread Starter

Thought I'd ask here since i'm sure there are a few experts on the matter. My current system is running way underclocked and by default.

I have:

Barton 2600+(currently running at 1153mhz instead of 1900*)
    Multiplier - 11.5
    FSB - is at 100mhz by default and crashes when raised up to 130mhz(166 should be default)
    Vcore - 1.66v
    CPU temp - 48 C
    Sys temp - 35 C
    I'm using a stock fan on the cpu.
    MB - MSI KT600 Delta
    Mem - 512MB Kingston pc3200
    Video - Radeon 9600 pro 128mb 8x agp
    Sound - Onboard
    HD - WD 120mb Sata 8mb buffer
    Both my Bios and windows report my cpu at 1153mhz

There are no jumpers on my motherboard that would cause this. I've read my manual throughout. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Set the vcore to auto, or default, and then raise the FSB to 133...

At what point does it crash?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If your temps at a lower speed are around 48 degrees then they'll be significantly higher at proper speeds. Is you heatsink on properly and did you remove the tape of the thermal pad on th heatsink?

4. kryloc

kryloc Thread Starter

heatsink is on properly as far as I know(right direction and all) and yeah...I removed the tape heh. Guess I can try additional cooling and maybe a better heatsink/fan than stock but don't know if that will properly put it back or will it consider me overclocking the system putting it back at 166...it crashes around 130fsb I believe.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your Barton has a 333Mhz FSB (166 x 2) hence it should run at that speed and it won't be considered overclocking. There is a ThoroughBred AMD XP2600 that also runs at 266Mhz for its FSB, amke sure thats not what you have. One more thing you want to check is that there is no jumper limiting the FSB to 100Mhz on the motherboard; mostly used for older Duron compatiblity.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you set the fsb to 130, you are overclocking the pci bus. The divider will kick in @ 133 and again @ 166nd again @ 200. The via chipset boards do not have a pci lock like the nforce boards. Make sure your hsf is installed correctly. Enter the bios and set it to AUTO for cpu speed and ram by SPD or AUTO. There may be a jumper that needs to be set so the default is not 100 fsb; some boards use one and some do not.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice