1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved AMD driver problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Julianmcgowan, May 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Julianmcgowan

Julianmcgowan Thread Starter

After installing my AMD rx 570 I tried installing drivers multiple times but every time I try to open radeon settings I get the error message "no AMD graphics driver is installed, or the the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." I have already done the newest downloads and tried auto detect while restarting the PC after every install attempt, starting to regret buying an AMD gpu.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc. From your post, I assume that this was a working system and you then installed the new video card. Did you remove the previous video driver prior to installing the new card?

How to properly install a new video card;
    1 Old card still installed, go to the relevant support site ie nvidia or amd. Download the latest driver. Do not attempt to use a driver on a support cd/dvd; those are almost always out of date
    2 Old card still installed, uninstall ALL software based on the old card ie driver, any monitoring software, any suite, etc. Do not reboot when prompted; just tell it later
    3 Shutdown and pull the old card. Install your new card and make any pw connections as necessary. Connect monitor
    4 Pw ON and install the driver you downloaded in step#1. Reboot when prompted

Done.

3. Julianmcgowan

Motherboard: ipisb-ch2
    Power supply: evga 600 watt power supply
    Old GPU: evga gtx 660 ftw sig2
    CPU: Intel core i72600k
    So you are saying download the drivers for the new card while the old card is still in?
    Also whenever I tried to download the new drivers at 20% of the installation c++ would come up and say that "vc_runtimeminimum_x64.msi" is on unreachable network

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you download the current driver before doing anything. The driver is just a .exe file that you download. You do not run this file until the new card is installed.
    Next you are attempting to install a real video card on a hp motherboard. This is very often problematic. Reason being that big box ie dell, hp, whatever motherboards are not designed to run a gaming video card.

Next issue. Modern video cards very often need a uefi bios. This is specific to the card [not chipset] mfg. IF the card has a legacy switch OR the motherboard mfg releases a bios update to improve compatibility, it often will work. With a hp motherboard, I would not hold out much hope. HP has no vested interest in you upgrading a video card so they are not going to release bios updates to support new video cards.
    If you were running an asus, gigabyte or other high end board, those can [mostly] work with a new video card and the latest motherboard bios.
    You would have the same problem if running a new ie 10xx or 20xx nvidia card. The problem is that all modern video cards need the uefi bios [unless the card mfg has included a legacy switch]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Julianmcgowan

Alright I planned on buying a new motherboard either way. I'm gonna need to buy ddr4 memory can you reccomend me some cheap ram

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The first thing you do is go to the support page for whatever motherboard you intend on purchasing. There will be a qvl or approved list for ram. As long as you use ram on the list, you know it will work without problems. Just because ram is not on the list does not mean it will not work. It means it was never tested and found to work. With all of the different ram on the market, it is impossible for the motherboard mfg to test all of the ram. You can also go to the ram mfg site ie corsair, crucial, etc and input your motherboard. The ram finder utility on the page will show compatible ram.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand that no modern motherboard is going to support a 2600. You will need a new processor along with the new board and ram.

8. Julianmcgowan

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice