1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD driver update 18.7.1 causing blue screen during gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SoDangUnlucky, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoDangUnlucky

SoDangUnlucky Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I just recently got the Gamer Ultra CyberPowerPC pre-built (I wanted to build, but I'm not selling my last kidney)(also I know I'm super dumb for getting this at BestBuy, but I needed something cheap to keep me sane) and of course I'm having driver issues.

I just play Tera and Overwatch so those were the only two things on my computer. Everything seemed okay, but after a week and a half they both started to crash out of no where saying that I might have a driver issue. Looking into it, I didn't have the latest AMD update so I went for it. Right as I was about to finish it, I got my first blue screen with the dxgmm2.sys error. To try to fix that I did a clean install of my driver. When I went back to play, not even 5 minutes in I got the Memory_Management blue screen. So I did the memory diagnostic to try to fix that. Well when I went back in after that I got another blue screen with the Irql_not_less_or_equal error. At this point my heart was crying so I just decided to do a factory reset to see if that might help. After the reset I immediately updated my driver and only downloaded Tera. For a solid two weeks the game was running better than when I got the computer, but of course again out of no where again I get the Irql_not_less_or_equal blue screen. (I haven't done another mem diagnostic yet)

It might be the 18.7.1 update causing the blue screens, but the games were already crashing because of the driver before that, just not my computer.

Is there anyway I can actually fix this or was I of course unlucky and got a faulty driver?

Update: I just blue screened with mem_management while browsing the web and trying to update windows. I am so confused, I literally did nothing on this computer.
    Update2: 5 minutes after the first update, I blue screened with system_service_exception.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8150 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) RX 560 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (846 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-DS3P
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. A memory diagnostic test (Microsoft Windows) or a memtest will not cure a crash error
    the purpose of the test is to find if there are memory - ram errors

2. In respect of the crash after the reset send please the crash dump
    Windows
    Mini dump
    open that folder
    right click on the dump file
    hold mouse on send to
    compressed file on desktop
    ZIP please and send as attached file on reply.

3. I realise that the system info shows Defender as the AV
    Is that the ONLY AV or do you have other anti virus programs installed.
    OR any other program that manages the system - registry cleaners, make it go faster type programs, game booster type etc.

3. SoDangUnlucky

SoDangUnlucky Thread Starter

My computer isn't able to find the location of the files, therefore I can't compress it. I have all the right permissions (or its showing I have permissions, but its still not letting me) so I don't really know what is going on with that or how to get those files.

No I do not have any other security on my computer. I didn't put it on yet since I only downloaded Steam and then Battle.net off of the internet and then downloaded my games off of there. The only other website I went on was YouTube and this one.

Also my computer is now crashing outside of gaming. A new blue screen I'm getting is system_service_exception.

Also side note, now quite a few of my Chrome pages are being killed, even ads. I refresh it and it comes right back up again, but I haven't seen that before and my internet is fine

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Re this
    You do not need to install any other AV
    Use the provided Windows Defender
    Third party AV programs often cause problems on 10

2. If the Computer was bought only within the last few weeks I recommend a return to Best Buy and let them sort it out
    If you wish to continue trying to solve the problem then proceed as below

3. According to the details of the link you provided that computer came with a free 6 month trial of Webroot Internet Security
    Are you sure this is not activated and running. If it is it MAY account for the problems.

4. Try a Clean boot see if it still crashes
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    follow the instructions carefully ensuring you hide all Microsoft services before disabling the others.

5. What please do you mean by
    for the dump files
    Is there a MiniDump folder
    in the Windows directory
    if not check for
    C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice