1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD GPU Problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by david920, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. david920

david920 Thread Starter

Hey all! Roughly.. 1 year and 7 months ago I purchased a new GPU, AMD's HD Radeon 6950 2gb model. I installed it in my machine, all seemed fine yet it started to manically vibrate, the vibrations getting worse upon each start up. So I switched off my computer, took the side cover off of the case, made sure there were no obstructions and started the computer up again -leaving the side panel off, just to make sure I could see there was nothing funny going on, then two fan blades fired off of one of the fans on the GPU. I called up the suppliers, and had a right good moan at them and emailed the director of the company (a small company based in England) after a lot of talk they sent me a new model.
    I was weary about installing it myself incase I done it wrong -I know it's hard to go wrong plugging in a GPU right?- so I took it to a local computer store and had it installed there. Everything worked fine until roughly 2 weeks ago. Out of nowhere the card started causing very violent vibrations yet again, so like a dumbass I done the same thing as before, opened up, made sure it was clear, turned my computer on with the side panel off and bam, 2 fan blades flew off yet again. Reading around online I've seen other posts about people having problems with this card making vibrations and weird noises. I don't see how simply taking the side off of the case may have made the fan blades fly off? What are my options IF they refuse to give me a new model? :(

[​IMG]
    This is the model that I have :)

2. david920

david920 Thread Starter

3. david920

david920 Thread Starter

Can anyone help meeeeee? :(

4. dai

dai

power supply

make
    model
    wattage

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would think it is pretty obvious. You have had two cards of the same mfg fail in the same way. The card maker is using low quality fans and or it received fans that were not mfg correctly.

Go with another card maker ie xfx, evga, etc. Stay away from low quality mfg. VTX is made by diablotek [makers of the lowest quality parts]

In short get your money back and go with xfx or evga.

6. david920

david920 Thread Starter

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=w2_9UMGfM8O40QXR_4HYDA&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAQ This is my power supply :) the OCZ modXstream 600W!

I paid like £230 for that card, and to hear that the people that make it are.... well.. **** is rather disappointing, the supplier of the card Novatech said that their warranty on it has expired however they will pass it on to the manufacturer, how would I go about getting my money back?

Thanks for the advice guys!

7. dai

dai

8. david920

david920 Thread Starter

What do you mean I need to be up there? :) I previously asked on here to make sure the power supply I have bought supported the card I am enquiring about and I was told that would be fine! :eek:

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would think send it back however that is really up to you to find out [requesting a refund]

Contact the mfg and tell them you are not happy with their card.

There is a reason why xfx or evga cards cost more; you do not have these types of problems.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While I doubt the pw supply is causing your problem, here is why I do not recommend ocz pw supplies.

If you look carefully at the spec, you will see two 12V rails @25amp. Most normal people would think they have 600W available on the combined 12V rail [use ohm's law of VxA=W] however that is NOT the case. The mfg limited the combined 12V rails to a max of 552W.

This is where your 700W pw supply is not really 700W. For this reason [among others] we recommend corsair [not builder series] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP pw supplies.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I quoted the spec for the 700W unit however it equally applies to your 600W unit. They [ocz] did the same slight of hand in rating the 600W unit.

Here is the spec sheet I forgot to include.

Attached Files:

12. dai

dai

you have 5 posts all are in this thread and i cannot see where anyone here has said that psu was fine

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I know I wouldn't recommend it. Ever!

14. david920

david920 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys, the company just called me back saying they refused to replace the product due to damage being user inflicted, the outcome looks bleak from that perspective, so on to the possible solutions, after market cooling systems, replacment budget GPUs, and possibly selling on the HD 6950 with one broken fan if that's possible, advice please? :)

15. replay

replay

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice