1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD Graphics Driver Error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nibras23, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

Everytime I boot my computer, I get an error message saying something like:
    No AMD Graphics Driver installed, or the driver is not functioning properly. Please install the driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.
    I'm running an HP laptop, on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    I went to the HP website, and downloaded the proper drive. I installed it, and it ran fine. I could tell because a video on a web site which wasn't loading (only the audio could be heard) ran perfectly fine after the installation.
    But upon rebooting my system, I got the same error message again.

2. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

Now I'm having another problem. I don;t know if it's related to my graphics driver issue.
    When I close the lid of my laptop and put it on standby mode, after opening the lid again when I'm going to use it, the computer gets out of standby mode (which I can tell because I've tried typing in my password and hitting Enter, and it produced the sound it makes when it enters my profile) but the screen remains black.
    Everytime this happened, I had to hold the power button to turn it off, then press it again, choose Start Windows normally, and then use my computer.
    What's wrong with this thing? I only bought it a few months ago..

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Standby depends on special functionality for all the involved drivers. They should all be WHQL, but if you got them from HP, they are fine.

Uninstall all the AMD driver software. Reboot. If it does not install itself, reinstall the AMD driver.

Make absolutely sure that you used the correct driver.

4. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

Can you please guide me through how I can uninstall all the AMD driver software?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it does not appear in Programs and Features, then open Device Manager, click the arrow on the Display Adapter to open it up, find your AMD graphics card listed, right-click that, and choose "Remove". If there is a check-box there that allows you to choose to remove the software from your computer, check it.

It will then most probably tell you that the machine needs to be restarted to complete the process.

When it boots again, it will have installed a default driver (if there was no chweckbox and you did not remove the software, it will install the driver again). The screen may be large. If the driver that was installed looks OK and you want to keep it, stop there. Windows driver may be all you want or need.

If you choose to install the HP driver instead, do it.

6. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

I don't want to risk messing up my computer... there are so many drivers and software, and I have no idea which ones to uninstall and all..
    And over that, I don't want any default drivers, my laptop has two graphics drivers, and Intel one and an AMD HD one. The Intel one seems fine, but the AMD one doesn't work, because after every reboot it says the same error message..
    But what's bothering me the most right now, is how I can't put my system on Standby, because upon opening the lid, the screen stays black.
    I don't know what to do...

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Standby, as implied earlier, needs drivers designed for the recovery process that standby involves.

Default drivers may be installed automatically. Is there a particular reason why they are insufficient in all cases?

Solving the driver problem is very probably also a solution to the standby problem.

The AMD graphics driver is very clearly listed in Device Manager and cannot be mistaken for something else. It may be listed more than once and all of them need to be removed. The "extras" are for things like an external display.

8. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

There is no AMD Graphics Driver listed there.
    There's Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, and Radeon (TM) HD 7670M
    which one should I remove?
    or should I keep both, and do something else?

9. nibras23

nibras23 Thread Starter

okay i opened the installer for the AMD driver i downloaded, and uninstalled it.
    my screen looks the same, and my standby problem seems to be resolved.
    that's great.
    but can you please tell me what differences I might expect to notice between my former AMD driver, and this apparent default driver that you say they've installed?
    thanks a lot man.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice