1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theWarder, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

Recently i purchased and installed a MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard and Amd Phenom II X6 1055T

upon loading up Windows and making sure everything was running smoothly it appeared that my OS Windows 7 reads the processor as AMD Processor Unknown Model 803 Mhz

I did go many other places to attempt to fix it, some suggested i try Refreshing my Windows experience, and it shows my Rating on my Processor of the old Anthalon II rating 6.3 dropping to a 4.3 for the X6 And it still tells me that AMD Processor unknown Model 803Mhz.

Any Ideas at what i did wrong, or thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out.

Much Abliged,

Warder.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I tried to check the cpu support on the msi site and it is useless. Most likely you need to update the bios to the newest one however even then I cannot tell IF it supports that cpu.

Remember just because a mb supports a given socket ie AM3 does NOT mean it supports all cpus based on that socket.

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The Europe site is much better than the US site; that one is useless(y)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should add to find out the board maker's instructions for updating the bios and be sure you fully understand the instructions. An incorrect bios flash can [and very often does] render your board junk ie unbootable.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Yeah it seems that MSI has been doing quite a lot of changing on their website recently. Some for the better and some have made things a little harder to find. Personally I prefer Asrocks and Gigabytes websites because finding the CPU support on them is as easy as just typing the board name in on google and clicking 2 links. :)

7. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy answers, i went to the mentioned sites and downloaded the files, after which i loaded them to a USB device and proceded to flash the bios, i went into the bios menu and went into MFlash, however when i got there and selected Bios update and chose my load device nothing happened. it just sat there any ideas?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First have you read and fully understand the bios flashing procedure?

Next is the usb drive formatted as ntfs or fat32?

9. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

Not too sure on the whole procedure a bud of mine was trying to tell me how and i believe i followed him but there are no actually CLEAR and CONCISE steps on how to do it, as for the USB, i just formatted the USB into NFTS

10. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

k so i finally got the m flash to work but it gave me the option of ROMID dismatch reselect and ROMID dismatch force flash, seeing it as moving on with flashing, i clicked the force flash, it looked like it worked and went into rebooting, then it stopped the countdown at 1 and rebooted and now i cannot see anything, the board has power but the mouse and keyboard do not and there is no signal to the monitor, what should i do. i tried removing the cmos battery but nothing.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well it is a little late now however that is why I asked how it was formatted; bios based flashing only sees FAT type drives not ntfs. I do not use msi boards however from that msg, I would surmise that you used the wrong bios file to flash however that is just a guess on my part.

Next this is exactly why we stress understanding the flashing procedure. As posted an incorrect flash can and very often does render your board unbootable ie junk. I did check and there is a bios recovery procedure IF you have the ami bios. Note I would not put too much faith in this procedure since I have tried it myself with a few asus boards and it only worked one time out of about 4. In any case, here is the link.
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0

Note you may also be able to swap out the bios chip. You can either get a new chip from badflash.com OR send in your chip for reflashing. I have used them a few times and I have been pleased with their service.

There is a procedure called hot flashing of your bios chip however this requires a high level of hardware skill AND another mb with the same type of bios chip. Note not the same board however the same type bios chip ie 32pin 40pin or whatever. Again I do not recommend doing a hot flash unless you have a very high level of hardware skill. If you really really want to attempt a hot flash, post back and I will post detailed instructions for hot flashing.

12. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

That link is definatly the correct BIOS file. Checked it a couple of times to make sure that it was correct.

Jack-O-Bytes

13. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

yes it is the correct files, and as for the formating, after no reply to the question for some time i spent alot of it looking for the correct format and i found that it should be formatted to FAT32 and that is what i did, the usb device is a fat device now, and has the iso of the 2 files in there, i followed the guides online directly to flashing the bios, but not a SINGLE guide explains what ROMID dismatch is, and after spending literally 20 hrs trying to get this to work i hit Force flash and now im in this prediciment.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have the options I outlined above;
    1 New board
    2 Attempt the bios recovery [iffy at best it it will work]
    3 Replace the bios chip or have yours reflashed
    4 Do a hot flash of the bios

This may be what caused the problem. As I posted I do not use msi boards however an iso type file is an image of a CD or DVD. You burn the iso to a CD and boot the system with that. You cannot just copy the iso file to anything; it must be burned using nero or other burning app. What it most likely does is make a bootable CD that will flash the bios for you. Again that is only a guess from your post since I never use msi.

15. theWarder

theWarder Thread Starter

ok i got a brand new board of the same type from the RMA of the board.

So how can i do this EASILY and without alot of techno jargen, any information and tips even a step by step thing to do would be great thanks.

Warder

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice