1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD K6-2 CPU with bent pins...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phatmattrat, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phatmattrat

phatmattrat Thread Starter

Ok guys, I don't know if this is an obvious question but here goes. I recently tried to boot back up an old system of mine which I had stored in seperate pieces for awhile. I started to put everything back together. When I got to the CPU, I placed it on the motherboard socket but it wouldn't fall into place like usual, so I took it off and looked at the pins. A couple of them appeared to be a bit bent... not like 90 degrees or anything but enough that you could tell they weren't straight. So I got out some tweezers and re-aligned them to the point that it would go back into the motherboard socket without any force at all.

I put everything back together and boot up the PC. I can hear that power is in the PSU but nothing else happens. So.... my question is, is the CPU screwed? Mind you, all of the pins are still on the chip, none of them broke off, just some of them got bent. Would this render the CPU unusable? I've had bent pins on alot of HD's and stuff and after straightening them, it worked again just like before.

Another question while I'm at it. I no longer have the PSU that came with the AMD K6-2 system... but I do have my 350W for my P4 system. Can I use this PSU in the old system or is it too much power? Would it matter that the PSU from the P4 is ATX and the AMD motherboard and case is MiniATX (?) ?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It should nto matter about he power supply. unless of course the pin out for the mobo is differetn than the pin out of the power supply.

As for bent pins, straightening them should be alright. unless the reason they are bent also cause some other damage such as ESD damage (Electro static discharge)

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

just to add on. there maybe some esd damage but that possibility is remote but i recomend you use tweesers to straighten those pins the kind with points at the end not the other.

4. phatmattrat

Alright thanks guys, you're totally sure I can use my 350W ATX on the old motherboard? Its an Acer V75M FYI. I REALLY don't want to damage the old mobo or the new PSU... I don't have $100 for another one and I can't afford to have no PSU for the P4.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most Acer's used a Standard ATX powersupply so any powersupply should work. The wattage is not a problem, more wattage is actually better and the fact that its a P4 powersupply is not a problem either. You may just want to try the motherboard with teh CPU, Video card, and one stick of RAM. Don't attach any drives or other cards. You should also try it on an antistatic surface outside the case to avoid shorting.

Also, very importantly, make sure you have all the jumpers correct. there should be FSB, multiplier, and maybe voltage jumpers. All these have to be correctly set.

6. phatmattrat

Alright, thanks... I'll try it later in the week. I hope it all works out.

7. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

to staighten the pins on the cpu i was tought a trick by an old timer. take apart a click type pen and remove the ink cartridge and then slide the end where the point came out over the bent pin and carefully bend it back straight.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice