1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD Motherboard question CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matrim, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

2. Vandaria

Vandaria

I think I am going to say no as I just switched myself. My athlon xp was a socket A processor and that is a socket 939 board. So two different things.

3. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

Okay thanks.

I thought the XP was faster than a Sempron though?

4. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

So, there is no way to put an Athlon XP in an Athlon 64 board(any board)?

Guess I know the answer already :p

5. GripS

GripS

If you are in the market for a new cpu and processor then go with an AM2 processor and motherboard. AM2 is the latest socket from AMD and should give you a better upgrade path down the road.

An XP processor will definitely NOT fit in a 939 motherboard. No the XP's are not faster. They are older technology. Semprons and AMD64's use an on-chip memory controller which makes for a huge performace boost compared to the old XP's that had the memory controller on the chipset.

6. Vandaria

Vandaria

7. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

Oh greaaaaaaaat. I thought i was upgrading when i bought the XP.

What I had: Sempron 3000+
    What I bought: Athlon XP 3300+

Which is better?

8. GripS

GripS

Depends on the socket. The sempron comes as a socket A as well as socket 754. The socket A ones are essentially rebranded XP's. Also some semprons have 64bit support while others do not. Out of all the lines of processors AMD has the semprons seem to be the most confusing to know exactly what your getting.

Regardless. Sounds like if it's not a 754 sempron then you upgraded. If it IS a 754 sempron then you downgraded(a little). Either way it wasn't a significant upgrade\downgrade regardless. If you still have that processor in the box see if you can return it or sell it on e-bay.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There is no official XP 3300+, so I'm not sure exactly what you bought. Maybe an HP mutant processor.

10. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

Hehe Oops :eek:
    My mistake it is a 3000+, so the Sempron must be 3300+. If all else fails, read your own(mine) signature hehe.

How about now? :)

11. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure its socket A. I'd have to reinstall it to double check, but it was over a year ago. Weren't 754's just coming out around then? At any rate, my mobo is a 462, socket A, so pretty sure the Sempron is the same.

12. matrim

matrim Thread Starter

Also,
    Which would benefit more from overclocking?
    Would either?
    Is it ever worth it to overclock cpu's? :)

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's risk to overclocking and its time consuming to get a stable overclock.

The're one big difference between a Sempron and an Athlon XP or Athlon 64, and thats the L2 cache, Sempron has less cache.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice