1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD or Intel, which CPU is best and why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shortnpretty, Sep 29, 2003.

?

Which CPU is best, AMD or Intel, and why?

1. AMD

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Intel

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortnpretty

shortnpretty Thread Starter

Its starting to become apparent that I may have to purchase a new cpu. When I purchased this computer three years ago, it came with the AMD Athlon Processor, 1.2 ghtz, motherboard GA-7DX, and OS Windows ME. Well, since ME sux I upgraded to Windows XP about a year ago. In December of last year my graphics card, PNY GeForce 2 went out and I replaced it with the PNY GeForce 4. Everything was doing fine until just about a month ago. My computer started rebooting for no reason. I posted a HJT log which came clean. Next, it was suggested that since windows autoupdate included the DX9, I needed to download an update to my Nvidia graphics driver (GeForce). I went to the website and did that. Now, a month later, my computer is spinning in this reboot mode consistently, unable to load windows. Its been suggested that I may need a new CPU and I'm curious as to who likes the AMD and who likes the Intel.

When you vote, please post me a specific reason as to why you prefer one over the other.....:D I will be using this as a tool if its necessary that I purchase the cpu.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

3. shortnpretty

Thanks dave for the links. Lots of information and lots of opinions there. :D I'm really satisfied with my AMD, although, only my son is the serious gamer. I'm usually either here or playing poker on ultimatebet.com. I also open my case and clean it regularly with canned air. Soooo, I doubt it will make a big difference which one I get. Thats if, I end up having to get one. I'm still hoping for a miracle. ;) :D

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

SNP
    To my understanding the Key to AMD's longevity is keeping it cool and clean! So if you do get another machine you may want to invest into an improved Cooling set, (Fan and Heatsink) and don't be tempted to overclock which increases heat. I do not think you would be tempted but your son is a gamer and he might!

Dave

5. shortnpretty

Thanks for the tip dave. When I first got this pc, I didn't understand all of this stuff. Still have lots to learn, but the first time into the case was when I lost my graphics card last year. I was determined to find that problem and fix it myself, which I did before finding this place even. Had no idea why my computer would boot, but nothing on my monitor. I found and excellent website (pcguide.com I think, can't remember for sure right now), and it gave me step by step, understandable info on what the POST beeps stood for, which helped me understand I had a bad graphics card. I replaced it myself and poof, I was back to surfing again. When I got into the case, I noticed it has 3 different fans and several heatsinks (one fan is on top of the CPU itself with a heatsink and fan with heatsink on the AGP chip too). I also have a CPU overheat shutdown detect and a temp detector. I have a feeling that the folks at NuTrend knew what they were doing when they put this thing together. I've never had a temp warning of any kind and assume that because of this, I've never had a shutdown due to overheating. But, that being said, it doesn't mean that my non-technical mind knows a blooming thing and I very well could need more. ;) :D

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I've been torn on this subject for years it seems.
    I have always been a bigger Intel fan than AMD,but I was not impressed with the P4 development from the start. AMD makes a fine CPU and I've built a few systems using them as well with good results.I just don't know which is better,or if there actually is such a thing.
    Personally,I think computers are an evil addiction and are a terrible waste of brain power,but I'm an addict and have been wasting my brain for close to 30 years now.Which may explain my inability to make a decision on which is "Best".
    But once in a while,I am able to cut through the fog and see the industry for what it really is. Buy what YOU think is best for YOUR purposes,check a few review sites to get ideas on what board/CPU combinations will work for YOUR purposes.Then put your blinders on and go buy it.If you listen to too many people,you'll actually NEED a computer to calculate the results of the polling.
    So here are my suggestions;
    For data-processing:a nice metal framed abacus w/high gloss finished wooden beads that slide easily.Sure the metal disk models are nice,but they just don't "clack" the same when you slide em' hard.
    For word-processing:a #2 pencil and college ruled paper seem to work well for editing,and finished projects come off very nicely on cold pressed linen paper using a Monte Blanc.You might be surprised how these products are appreciated when received via Letter-Carrier.
    For gaming:Yahtzee and Croquet are big favorites,and depending on the stakes,both can get very interesting.

Now...,if you feel you actually have to have a computer for these things,the industry answer is simple.Buy the most expensive,biggest,fastest,most powerful unit you can actually lay your hands on.Then,in 2 months,buy a new one using those same standards and sell your old one on eBay for half the price you paid for it,rinse and repeat until all of your money and sanity are gone.

Sorry...,I'm just in a "mood". HA!

(text edited for spelling..,sheeesh!)

7. shortnpretty

Its okay GwizJoe. I actually find what you say quite true and found plenty of humour in it. Thanks soooo much for your reply. ;) :D (y)

I feel your mood. :eek:

8. KeithKman

KeithKman

If you want to spend a little more money and not worrie about heat issues...go INTEL!

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Rebooting could be the power supply, the memory, or a driver problem. I doubt it has anything to do with your CPU at all. As a builder of AMD machines with over 30 machines under my belt, I haven't had one machine consistantly run over 45 degrees C. So I disagree with certain people who say AMD has heat problems. It all depends on how you build it.

10. hewee

hewee

:( mine runs hotter then that. 53C right now but does get hotter if it is hotter in the room and I defrag or run my image programs.

But it was said this board had somthing to do with it.
    I still love it and all has been ok for almost 2 years now. :D

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Lap the heatsink and replace the thermal paste with a thin layer of Artic Silver3. Off the shelf PC's normally have a themal pad with is just good enough, but not really protective over time as dust builds up in the machine.

For some reasons, some motherboards do run higher temperatures, though for the life of me I don't know why, or why sometimes a different bios makes a difference in temps.

12. hewee

hewee

I was at a site that said what the normal temps are to be for my mother, cpu and it was higher then other but I am where they say it should be for mine.
    I forget where the site is because that was long ago.
    OK found some links from a message board page I saved.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips400/
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips443/

Cpu temperature
    http://www.3degs.net/weblinks/view.php?id=5
    Then click on the type of cpu.

By the way a on the 8th of this month was at a site that had lots of flash all over the page and I wanted something from there download but had trouble getting pass the main page. After having to close down netscape 4 times and going back I made it pass the main page and then the java also came.
    Then the Asus probe came up. Wow my cpu was at 199 F. I closed Netscape and everything but the cpu was running at 100% still. I had to reboot to clear what ever that sites flash and java was doing on my PC. All seem to be ok after thast but I was thinking I burned the cpu after seeing the temp so high.
    Also a good cpu fan is needed. Plus a good case and case fans.
    I had my pc made at a small shop and the case is ok but it really need more air going tru it. Was only a fan on the front and one on the side. I added one to the back and it helped and then after playing around I got the temp down more by taking the fan on the side of the case and turning it around so it blows on the cpu. So I got the temp down from 142 F to 127 F.
    Next PC I get I will get a very good case that moves the air in and out good and have a very good cpu fan so I will see cooler temps. :D

13. alicedonut

alicedonut

I bought me a compaq in 99 with a Amd Duron chip and have been more than happy. I have intels at work so I can gauge the difference. Ive thrown everything at this chip and it has held up. I would consider myself a power user. Ive actually abused this computer with open unfilled slots, running 24-7, 1/2 " of dust and a spattering of internal corn chips but it keeps on running. I believe that once this computer finally makes its way to the bottom of some trash pile in the dump, that the green light will still be flickering.

14. compilerxp

compilerxp

KeithKman: Heat Issues? All CPUs have heat issues... Intel uses much bigger heat sinks as a standard... heavier, bulkier...

Number of friends or clients who have burnt up AMD CPUs that I know of... NONE.

AMD 64 is quite fast, even with WindowsXP-32bit... but can be 5~35% faster with current beta 64bit version.

AMD = general use & games... Very good.
    P4 = Video and M3 Encoding (like you do this EVERY DAY) and some 3D Rendering programs.

Most people are general use...

===============
    §hortÑPretty : That should answer your questions... I guess.

But I would like to say something a bit of Off Topic concerning an OT subject....

We are about to enter a rather nasty Election season again, these are horrible as they prove that ALL policitians are jerks, period. They are unfair to anyone and the people of the USA do NOT get to choose their president, but corporatations (This has nothing to do with the Flordia mess, but in USA Elections in general) with the use of ther "donations" as they say to the political process. In a equal system, there should be a general FUND for people to donate, and those who are running get equal share and equal budget.

With that said, we're going to be eating "elections" for lunch until "king" george wins or loses. It is recommend to remove the "pro" republican tag as it does not have anything to do with computers... trust me, in 2004 it will be worse. Your link could have been either pro or anti republican. Perhaps a site that lets you know what its about would make more sense, like www.gwbush.com would work. But I prefer www.realchange.org as it lists the dirt on any politican - equally.

Thank you.

15. hewee

hewee

Or even the Apple PC is real nice. Said to be best for doing image work on and it is very fast.
    Wish more of the program and or image program also worked on the apple.
    Have some that both windows and apple have an install but not that many.
    I know bryce 5 does and a couple others but most don't have the apple and windows both on the install CD. Wish they all did. :)

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

The PowerPC G5 processor dramatically accelerates performance in real world applications, too. When compared head-to-head against the same PCs, in a large series of Photoshop tests the dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 is 2.2 times faster than the 3GHz Pentium 4-based system and almost twice as fast as the dual 3.06GHz Xeon-based system. Additional performance tests reveal similar performance gains for professional music and audio creation, and scientific analysis of genetic research.

Wow one fast PC. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice