1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eee-tee, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

So which do you recommend?
    I've been reading aroung, and also wanted some of your views, as there tend to be less biased. So, basically, pros and cons for both. My choice will probably be a Atlon 64 3000+ or 3200+, OR the pentiun eqivalent (which is....?) but i dont want to rush into things.

I dont really use it to play games, but i do for most other stuff.

Also, and I guess this applies to you guys in the UK, how much for a 3000+, Mobo, and 512 RAM, + fitting as I am unable to U/G it mayself?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Apples or Oranges?

Threads like this can bring out the gremlins in people you never knew existed. Do some reading, surf the net. You'll find opinions all over, most of them conflicting.

I run an Athlon. I had an Athlon 64 that I hated so I bought the best Athlon XP there is. A 3200+ is more than I need really for the time being.

It is a preference, both are very good.

3. pronute

pronute

In the past 10 years I’ve built 42 computers for friends and family. Both AMD and Intel, and I lean towards Intel more and more every day, mostly because of AMD’s supporting chipsets. Lately I have had most of the AMD’s back for repair mostly OS incapability’s with the chipsets and a few for burned up CPUs all Athlons, in this same time period none of the Pentium, P2, P3, P4 systems have come back for support or repair except for one P3 with a bad hard drive.
    I strongly suggest you look in to the good and bad points of a 64 bit processor although there is now a 64 bit version of Windows XP (required for full 64 bit operation of the processor) there is not a lot of 64 bit applications or components.
    If you want worry free operation of your computer, with blinding speed and compatibility I would go for a Pentium 4 Prescott core 2.8 GHz or above.
    And if you don’t believe me about the reliability of AMD products search this sight you’ll find that a great deal of the hardware problems have to do with AMD’s.

4. brite750

brite750

Just go by price, price up your A64 system vs an Intel P4 3 or 3.2 gig system, ram is the same, the AMD will run at 400fsb, Intel at 800fsb, but both have very similar performance

5. brite750

brite750

that is sorta true, but i think it is because of the vast variety of chipsets and mobo manufacturers out there for AMD stuff, a lot of people that have problems buy the real cheapy boards like ECS/PCchips, if you buy a quality board i dont imagine that you will have anymore problems than someone with an intel P4 running on an intel mobo. there are alot of people on this forum running Asus/AMD rigs and i dont hear them complaining alot. I personally have not ever had a problem with an AMD cpu or Intel, its all the other stuff that you hook up to them both hardware and software that will screw you up. And I wouldnt promise any one "worry free" operation of anything relating to computers thats just nuts, I'm detecting just a hint of "fanboyism" in your statement, just dont buy junk and your probably going to be good. I have Intlel at work Precision650 WS, and pc in sig at home both do the job that they are designed for, the one at work was $2500, my home one was $750.

6. haplo210

haplo210

The thing with the burnign of teh chiups is that teh intel ones have a self cooler in them , so that the y reach a certyain temp they calm down, do a bit less. The amd doesnt. It just gets hotter and burns if its not cooled properly, but a decent heatsink wil stiop that

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have never had any trouble with Athlon. I have had trouble with ram, motherboards, video cards, power supplies, sound cards, monitors, and everything else that goes into a PC.

I have never had any trouble with Intel processors either. I'll stand by what I posted, it is preference. I prefer Athlon but I have nothing against Pentium.

8. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I've had good results with both AMD and Intel and as they always say, AMD is great for games, then again is the P4 bad? The P4 is supposedly better for multi tasking but I've not really noticed the difference between a 2.6ghz P4 and a Celeron 2.6Ghz. Actually I think the Celeron runs better sometimes.

9. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys, unfortunately its only confused me more :(

The reason i was think of going down the Athlon 64bit road, was that, whilst I know that you need the 64 bit OS, and compatability with S/W, that will all be coming in the near future?
    I didn't want to spend the money, on a decent non-64 bit processor, such as a XP 3200+, and find that it would be necessary to change it, when 64 bit windows comes out, in the near future.

OR, will many people be still going along happily with what we have now?
    Won't it be a big Change Over after all?

And just to confirm, the advantage of having a 64 bit processor only comes into play when there is an OS built for it, ect? We are running at 32bit now, yeah?
    If so, what difference, now, would there be with a 64 bit 300+, and an XP 3200+ in gerneral terms?

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You never know whether 64 will rule in the future or flop like a fish out of water. I figure it will take over eventually but how eventually is the question.

11. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

Ok, I've been doing a bit of reading, have narrowed my choice down, and have a couple more questions.

1. On the subject of the P4's HT, does s/w have to be designed for it, or will it have effect with current s/w. Although they are 2 different things, you would not see the true benefit of a 64 bit processor until Windows 64bit comes out, does this logic apply to the HT?

2. After reading various benchmarks test, I see that the A 64's have various 'types', namely Barton, winchester, Clawhammer, Newcastle, and the P 4's Prescot and Northwood.

Is this refering to the socket? I notice that for the different types of the same processor have different results, some are quicker/ect.

3. With regards to Mobo's, I've had a look on AMD's site and they list recommended ones, but of course there are loads. So which makes come recommended?

What about 'Form factor', and there are key features that i may need? Ehat do you recommend?

12. brite750

brite750

I dont think there are any Barton A64 cpuz, i think they are socket A only, the other ones fall into A64 754 pin socket and 939 pin socket, i would suggest sticking with the 939, the 754 was kind of a stop gap type before the 939, the other thing to look at is the amount of L2 cache more mean more expensive and also the cpu type the are 0.13micron and 90nm, again 90nm being more expensive, yes its confusing as hell, especially since they juggle these thing around in various ways to create many different price ranges from $200ish to $1000 bucks, so pick a good 939 pin mobo, Asus or Abit, Gigabyte, get yourself a 1gig of pc3200 ram and then see how much you want to spend on the cpu after that. Go to newegg and do a search in the cpuz using AMD, Athlon64, and 939 pin as you search parameters

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-498&depa=1 this looks like a nice level you get 2.2ghz, 512L2, and the 90nm cpu for $295, way more than i would spend but.....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-523&depa=1
    something along these lines for a mobo, unless you think you want the SLI, that one is more $$$ though

13. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

So out of those mentioned 'codenames' which are the 939 socket?
    And how does performance compare between them?

Thinking about the P4 HT, can you explain whether the Hyper Threading only has effect with S/W ect that was specifically designed for it, and you would not reap the benefit of it without?

Also, can you advise the makes of PSU, and how do I know whic ids the best wattage to get?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hyper-threading helps with multiple apps open. The system "sees" the HT processor as two logical processor. In real world application, I doubt you would notice anything. In fact for gaming it can actually result in lower fps. I have built a few HT P4s and as a test disabled the HT; 3Dmark03 actually got a slightly higher score. Again in the real world you would not notice any difference between a HT processor and a non-HT processor. Like 64 bit chips, the os has to be able to use HT. The only ones that can are XP; win2k has limited HT support and Asus says to disable HT when using an os other than XP.

One thing to consider is heat. The prescott core P4s run hot. The new .09 AMD64s run a lot cooler. The P4s I have built [with good case airflow] ran around 55C @ idle. The AMD64s [using the same case] ran @ 30C. Personally I like the AMD both the 64 and the Athlon chips, however it comes down to what you like.

15. eee-tee

eee-tee Thread Starter

crjdriver, are you saying that a P4 with HT is 64 bit?
    I was under the impression that the A64 were the only ones, and that the P4's were 32 bit?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice