1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD or Pentium? Hyper threading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dano1000, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dano1000

Dano1000 Thread Starter

Hello,

I need a computer with hyperthreading, i know that pentium 4 has HT, but does AMD Athlon duel-cores?

please help!

Thanks

Dan

2. Bigfella

Bigfella

Hi after you look at the performance ratings of most p4 to amd and mobos with price comparison you usualy will find that amd will end up on top also the way amd is constructed means that the cpu can handle more when it comes to games and alot of processing tasks like cad rendering (no gpu usage) encoding and compiling tasks.

Also amd has the hyper transport of which is similar. I recommend the am2 slot cpus 64 bit if you have the money get the expensive models they seem like they are way too expensive and the speed looks bad because of the ghz rating however they have quad huge l2 caches that increase the performance to a huge degree.

Also consider buying a 120 mill power supply and if you want to make your new computer even quieter and faster you can buy quiet or silent heat sinks for the cpu and video card. They are idiot proof in the instalation procedures. The hard disk will be much quieter if you use laptop hard disks with adaptors also the power usage will be reduced.

Also buy some ddr2 800 mhz ram the performance is increased significantly if you use two of the same type to gain an extra 50% speed. The hard disks can be used in a similar way but you might need a driver floppy in order to install xp and partition the hard disk. Its called raid and there will be a section on it in the mobo book.

There are cases that come with 120 mill fans and a quiet power supply I bought a nice black one. I'm sure you know how to shop online

3. Dano1000

Dano1000 Thread Starter

thanks dude, i built a computer not long ago, i used AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ and im impressed with it! :D i shall keep with amd if they are much better than pentium.
    thanks again,

Dan

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just go with the core2 duo; they really do blow the older amd64 design out of the water.
    The c2d is more expensive however you get what you pay for. I have built a number of systems with the c2d and I have been impressed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice